+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

GOT MY PR WANT TO STUDY PG

Ramzi12

Oct 24, 2019
Hi all,
I recently got my PR, and hopefully will be moving to Canada next year. My husband is a citizen and that explains it. I have done my bachelor's in Electrical and Electronics Engineering from VTU (Karnataka, India) in the year 2017. I have some experience in supply chain management from ABB (6 months) and was an IT operation associate in Accenture for 6 months. I took a break because of my personal reasons.
As I will be moving to Canada with my family, I would like to start my career again. I am interested in my field.
Any suggestions/ guidelines as to how I have to go about it? Should I be writing some English Proficiency exams like IELTS to get into a good university (let's say University of Toronto) or can I apply directly to the university once I reach there based on my PR ?
Thanks in Advance!

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi all,
I recently got my PR, and hopefully will be moving to Canada next year. My husband is a citizen and that explains it. I have done my bachelor's in Electrical and Electronics Engineering from VTU (Karnataka, India) in the year 2017. I have some experience in supply chain management from ABB (6 months) and was an IT operation associate in Accenture for 6 months. I took a break because of my personal reasons.
As I will be moving to Canada with my family, I would like to start my career again. I am interested in my field.
Any suggestions/ guidelines as to how I have to go about it? Should I be writing some English Proficiency exams like IELTS to get into a good university (let's say University of Toronto) or can I apply directly to the university once I reach there based on my PR ?
Thanks in Advance!
Once you are in Canada, you can apply to any school you want. Check each school’s admission requirements. You will be competing against domestic students so requirements may be different. Eg. You may require higher grades because you are not paying international fees.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Should I be writing some English Proficiency exams like IELTS
You should check the requirements for specific programs; in many cases, it depends what language(s) previous education was in. Also check what english test is most widely used - toefl as far as I'm aware.

Ramzi12

Oct 24, 2019
You should check the requirements for specific programs; in many cases, it depends what language(s) previous education was in. Also check what english test is most widely used - toefl as far as I'm aware.
My doubt is that should I also give IELTS if it is required for the program I choose ? Is it not for international students ? Or it applies even for PR students

Ramzi12

Oct 24, 2019
Once you are in Canada, you can apply to any school you want. Check each school’s admission requirements. You will be competing against domestic students so requirements may be different. Eg. You may require higher grades because you are not paying international fees.
How do I check the requirements for domestic students? I mean the requirements such as IELTS scores given on the website are applicable for international students only or even for students having PR without having to give IELTS???

Ramzi12

Oct 24, 2019
My first language was English my entire education.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
How do I check the requirements for domestic students? I mean the requirements such as IELTS scores given on the website are applicable for international students only or even for students having PR without having to give IELTS???
Yes, this information is all on the university websites.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Go to the university website and click on admissions.

Reactions: armoured

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
My first language was English my entire education.
In general if you have done your entire education in English language tests are usually not required. IT, robotics, etc. are the jobs the most in demand that require a formal education. Other professions like electricians are also highly in demand and are pretty lucrative jobs since Canada has a skilled trades shortage which will only get worse as many current trades people retire. Nursing is another field in demand. There are also now 2 year condensed programs for those with a previous degree. Really hard to suggest a job without knowing your interests.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
My doubt is that should I also give IELTS if it is required for the program I choose ? Is it not for international students ? Or it applies even for PR students
Again, you really have to check with the admissions offices (via websites) of universities and their programs.

One warning, from a bit of experience: the universities are not always consistent about how they talk about domestic and international entrance requirements from an academic perspective as distinct from the issue of international student fees. (This may be quite a bit different for graduate level programs, at least it should be - and possibly quite specific to each program for professional programs like mbas and the like...)

Put differently, we found they talk about 'domestic students' as if they all completed high school in Canada (for example). So you may have to look at admission requirements for 'international students' to be clear if they're requiring english tests, etc, and then separately for fees.

(Even if they end up making all acadmic requests as if you're an international student for things like testing, if you're a PR, you'll pay the domestic rate.)

That said, I think in most cases you wouldn't need toefl or other language tests since you did all education in English, but don't take my word for it - check.

Ramzi12

Oct 24, 2019
Again, you really have to check with the admissions offices (via websites) of universities and their programs.

One warning, from a bit of experience: the universities are not always consistent about how they talk about domestic and international entrance requirements from an academic perspective as distinct from the issue of international student fees. (This may be quite a bit different for graduate level programs, at least it should be - and possibly quite specific to each program for professional programs like mbas and the like...)

Put differently, we found they talk about 'domestic students' as if they all completed high school in Canada (for example). So you may have to look at admission requirements for 'international students' to be clear if they're requiring english tests, etc, and then separately for fees.

(Even if they end up making all acadmic requests as if you're an international student for things like testing, if you're a PR, you'll pay the domestic rate.)

That said, I think in most cases you wouldn't need toefl or other language tests since you did all education in English, but don't take my word for it - check.
Ok thanks I will check this on websites