+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Got married before applying for PR

sixty-seven

Jun 5, 2015
Hey guys! I'm planning to apply for PR through Federal Skilled program. But I recently got married and not sure if I'm eligible to add my spouse to my PR application due to such short length of marriage . I'm on work permit and she is on tourist visa now, but we've been dating, living and working together for almost 2 years. I passed my medical and about a month after we got married. I'm afraid that this would look like a marriage of convenience to CIC.

I would appreciate your help. Thanks!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
HI

sixty-seven said:
Hey guys! I'm planning to apply for PR through Federal Skilled program. But I recently got married and not sure if I'm eligible to add my spouse to my PR application due to such short length of marriage . I'm on work permit and she is on tourist visa now, but we've been dating, living and working together for almost 2 years. I passed my medical and about a month after we got married. I'm afraid that this would look like a marriage of convenience to CIC.

I would appreciate your help. Thanks!
1, You really don't have choice, you have to add your spouse to the application.

sixty-seven

Jun 5, 2015
But is there any time restrictions like how long we should have been married before I could add her to my application, so we both could get our PR ?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
As PMM explained - once you are married you must add your spouse to your application. It doesn't matter how long you have been married.

sixty-seven

Jun 5, 2015
Excuse me. I might have placed the question wrong. Let me rephrase it.
Is she also going to be approved for Permanent Residence considering we've been married only a couple month ? Or I'm gonna have to sponsor her after I will receive my PR ?

Thank you.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
sixty-seven said:
Excuse me. I might have placed the question wrong. Let me rephrase it.
Is she also going to be approved for Permanent Residence considering we've been married only a couple month ? Or I'm gonna have to sponsor her after I will receive my PR ?

Thank you.
As we've already explained - you MUST add her to your file now - there is no other choice. Again, it doesn't matter how long you have been married. She will have to go through the medical, security and background check along with you. If you include her as an accompanying dependent - she will get the PR visa along with you. If you include her as a non-accompaying dependent (which doesn't make much sense) - only you will get the PR visa and you will have to sponsor her later (and go through additional paperwork). Failing to add her to your file is misrepresentation (lying in your application).

anuwaraich

Jun 3, 2015
hi actually i am in the same boat.. but in my case my husband added me in his PR appliaction because we got married this year march 2015 and he alrdy rcvd his PNP septmbr 2014.So he added me in his application in april and after that at the end of april we got an email asking for my medical and PCC and one more email after a day or two for paying landing fees.

We submitted our all the docs and medical on JUNE1,2015 . Bt all i want to know is will we get a new tracking id or we have to chck it through my husband PR file no. and even status is stil the same from the time my husband submitted his medical i.e "medical has been received "

please anybody suggest that what to do and how :(

Perspective

Star Member
Jun 29, 2022
Hello everyone!
I have a similar issue. Me and my husband were from the same university doing our Bachelors and came into a relationship in Jan 2018. We were in a long distance but kept meeting each other frequently.
1) I came to Canada to do my Masters degree and visited home after I received my PGWP in September 2022.
2) He proposed to me in October and we got engaged in a nice ceremony with all family and friends in attendance.
3) He also applied for a closed work permit to be with me and we have been staying together since.
4) We recently got married in March because we were in a 5 year relationship and were tired of not having a name for it and have now applied for PR together.
Will CIC consider this as a marriage of convenience? Any advice or guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Who is the sponsor? How are you both applying for PR?

I don't see any reason for concern; you simply decided to get married after a 4+ year relationship.

Perspective

Star Member
Jun 29, 2022
Who is the sponsor? How are you both applying for PR?

I don't see any reason for concern; you simply decided to get married after a 4+ year relationship.
Hi,
Thankyou for your reply! I am the main applicant and he is my dependent. Reason being he still hasn’t completed 1 year experience in Canada.
I thought it’s better to add him now rather than him applying after a year.