+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Goods Accompanying - Tools (Kind of...)

theguv

Dec 8, 2016
London UK
Category........
NOC Code......
Howdy chaps and chappettes. I'm finally moving to Toronto on April 5th and I'm compiling my goods accompanying list (it will be very short. The goods to follow list is a blank sheet of paper! ) and, as I was perusing various sources for information on how best to comile this list I saw mention that tools of trade type objects aren't exempt from the import tax exemption this list provides. Is that true?

Also, does this only really apply to tools in the traditional sense? I have a handful of gadgets that I use for work but they're "backups/nice to have handy's" as the client usually supplies all the equipment required to execute the role. None of them are expensive and they're not essential for my job (I never charge them out as line items so they're not invoiced for or hired). I'd rather not get rid of them as they can make my life easier and I'm not sure where I'd source a couple of replacements when I get to Canada in terms of their brands!

Can I, as someone mentioned in a post on here, simply put "Toolbox with tools at value $CAD" and that's it or will I have to pay out to bring these in?

Tia you lovely lot.

#scared #excited

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Howdy chaps and chappettes. I'm finally moving to Toronto on April 5th and I'm compiling my goods accompanying list (it will be very short. The goods to follow list is a blank sheet of paper! ) and, as I was perusing various sources for information on how best to comile this list I saw mention that tools of trade type objects aren't exempt from the import tax exemption this list provides. Is that true?

Also, does this only really apply to tools in the traditional sense? I have a handful of gadgets that I use for work but they're "backups/nice to have handy's" as the client usually supplies all the equipment required to execute the role. None of them are expensive and they're not essential for my job (I never charge them out as line items so they're not invoiced for or hired). I'd rather not get rid of them as they can make my life easier and I'm not sure where I'd source a couple of replacements when I get to Canada in terms of their brands!

Can I, as someone mentioned in a post on here, simply put "Toolbox with tools at value $CAD" and that's it or will I have to pay out to bring these in?

Tia you lovely lot.

#scared #excited
That should be fine. If they decide to exercise themselves and open it up, just say they're your personal tools. Of course a tradesman has his own tools accumulated over years, still personal items.

I'm sure there's some type of super-exotic tool say nuclear vessel welding equipment with atomic level scanners that might raise questions as being not possibly personal (although I suspect the 'nuclear' would be more of an issue). Or if they're extremely high value.

My impression is mostly for new PRs it's the usual stuff - illegal drugs, high tax/limited stuff (undeclared) eg alcohol tobacco, and people obviously bringing stuff in for re-sale. (And for countries/goods that are already low or zero tariff, there's little point for them in finding odds and sods) Oh and agricultural goods (they're concerned about bugs and nasties)

Reactions: theguv

theguv

Dec 8, 2016
London UK
Category........
NOC Code......
That should be fine. If they decide to exercise themselves and open it up, just say they're your personal tools. Of course a tradesman has his own tools accumulated over years, still personal items.

I'm sure there's some type of super-exotic tool say nuclear vessel welding equipment with atomic level scanners that might raise questions as being not possibly personal (although I suspect the 'nuclear' would be more of an issue). Or if they're extremely high value.

My impression is mostly for new PRs it's the usual stuff - illegal drugs, high tax/limited stuff (undeclared) eg alcohol tobacco, and people obviously bringing stuff in for re-sale. (And for countries/goods that are already low or zero tariff, there's little point for them in finding odds and sods) Oh and agricultural goods (they're concerned about bugs and nasties)
Much obliged, thank you.

I did think it was more about industrial tools and big ticket items that are work related. I'm bringing in some audio connectors/converters, a zoom recorder, an airport express, 5 port network switch and a streamdeck. I can't imagine that they'd be too arsed about that if the person behind me is bringing in a container load of chainsaws!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I did think it was more about industrial tools and big ticket items that are work related. I'm bringing in some audio connectors/converters, a zoom recorder, an airport express, 5 port network switch and a streamdeck. I can't imagine that they'd be too arsed about that if the person behind me is bringing in a container load of chainsaws!
I'd be worried about the guy with the container of chainsaws, too.

Yeah, that's hobbyist stuff for most purposes (or at least plausible enough). I doubt they'd worry about a guy with his onw personal set of machinist tools/tool & die stuff etc either - really most stuff that could fit in a suitcase. A 3.5 tonne lathe, maybe a harder call.

theguv

Dec 8, 2016
London UK
Category........
NOC Code......
I'd be worried about the guy with the container of chainsaws, too.

Yeah, that's hobbyist stuff for most purposes (or at least plausible enough). I doubt they'd worry about a guy with his onw personal set of machinist tools/tool & die stuff etc either - really most stuff that could fit in a suitcase. A 3.5 tonne lathe, maybe a harder call.

if i was shipping a mixing desk then i'd defo expect to be paying duty on that sucker!

thanks for the clarification. i feel a bit more relaxed about getting these bits in with me now.

Reactions: armoured