NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-11-2015
AOR Received.
12-11-2015
Hi All,

We did a stupid thing while doing a landing for my wife in January 2020. We didn't declare gold Jewellary in goods to follow list ( which was gifted to my wife by our parents in marriage in 2016).

Quick Background: We were living separate in New York and BC during spousal sponsorship process in 2019. To our surprise my wife got her COPR within 4 months in December 2019. We decided to quickly make a soft landing before my wife goes back to New York for her studies, thinking all the while that she didn't have anything valuable in New York with her. We completely forgot about Jewellary. At time of Landing in BC, the nice immigration office asked about Jewellary, making us realize our mistake. When we offered to list down everything at the time, he said NO and asked us to produce jeweler's evaluation report along with photos. We had neither of which.

He asked us to return to US and come back with Jeweler's evaluation report for landing. Because all the Jewellary was in India with our parents travelling, we were unable to do so without waiting for months. We decided not to do so as we were already living separate for a few months.

He said, next time when she enters in CA again, she could request for an exemption by an officer along with original purchase receipts proving all the Jewellary was purchased before landing only however it would be completely at Officer's discretion.

Now we are back in India after almost 2 years, trying to gather all the documents we can for Jewellary declaration and planning to meet with a custom's officer while entering in Canada again and plead our case. This would be my wife's 4th entry into Canada including Landing ( we did a couple of back and forth trips between US and Canada at Niagara falls) .

We are planning to show, new photos of each Jewellary along with appraisal, original purchase receipts and photos of my wife wearing them in Wedding in 2016.

I understand this would be unique situation but has anyone gone through any Jewellary declaration experience in second or subsequent entry into Canada. Any suggestions how to handle during Immigration on our way back.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi All,

We did a stupid thing while doing a landing for my wife in January 2020. We didn't declare gold Jewellary in goods to follow list ( which was gifted to my wife by our parents in marriage in 2016).

Quick Background: We were living separate in New York and BC during spousal sponsorship process in 2019. To our surprise my wife got her COPR within 4 months in December 2019. We decided to quickly make a soft landing before my wife goes back to New York for her studies, thinking all the while that she didn't have anything valuable in New York with her. We completely forgot about Jewellary. At time of Landing in BC, the nice immigration office asked about Jewellary, making us realize our mistake. When we offered to list down everything at the time, he said NO and asked us to produce jeweler's evaluation report along with photos. We had neither of which.

He asked us to return to US and come back with Jeweler's evaluation report for landing. Because all the Jewellary was in India with our parents travelling, we were unable to do so without waiting for months. We decided not to do so as we were already living separate for a few months.

He said, next time when she enters in CA again, she could request for an exemption by an officer along with original purchase receipts proving all the Jewellary was purchased before landing only however it would be completely at Officer's discretion.

Now we are back in India after almost 2 years, trying to gather all the documents we can for Jewellary declaration and planning to meet with a custom's officer while entering in Canada again and plead our case. This would be my wife's 4th entry into Canada including Landing ( we did a couple of back and forth trips between US and Canada at Niagara falls) .

We are planning to show, new photos of each Jewellary along with appraisal, original purchase receipts and photos of my wife wearing them in Wedding in 2016.

I understand this would be unique situation but has anyone gone through any Jewellary declaration experience in second or subsequent entry into Canada. Any suggestions how to handle during Immigration on our way back.
Any chance that you would be sponsoring your parents or inlaws in the future? If so, in their landing, they can add the jewleries in their goods accompanying form.