+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Going to Canada! Visa application process

Ang3liika

Dec 30, 2012
Hello,
Recently my soon to be husband was deported to Colombia. We decided to move to Canada. I am planning for him to apply for a federal skilled worker visa. He has 7 yrs of experience working as a mechanic here in USA (he owned a business, auto shop and auto parts sales). I did the self-assessment test on Canadian embassy website to determine his eligibility to apply for this particular visa and he passes the minimum point mark. However, his case little more difficult due to his criminal record (possession of marijuana). However, it has been more than 5 yrs since the conviction, and to my understanding in addition to visa application we need to complete the rehabilitation waiver.
My question is then, how exactly would we start the process? I know the feudal skilled worker program opens up in May, therefore, when would it be wise to sent all necessary applications? Is there anything we can do to strengthen his application due to the criminal history? For example, letters explaining the circumstances and showing remorse? I also thought about writing a letter explaining why I cannot move to colombia and that's why Canada is our destination. Would that help? His parents and two sisters are also in US as well as his son (who he has with another woman). I think it's clear to see why he would want to be In Canada rather than Colombia. Any help would be appreciated. Please provide me with details or insights on how should we go about the process. Thak you in advance.

barcomi

Apr 23, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-06-2013
Nomination.....
PER: 30-08-2013
Med's Request
24-06-2014
Med's Done....
22-07-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
13-08-2015
LANDED..........
April-2015
Hello,

Did you apply for criminal rehabilitation separately or you will do so as part of the federal skilled worker application?

Regards,