+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Go to Canada, find job, get work permit/visa?

expat_us

Mar 28, 2011
I am no stranger to the visa/expat world. I currently live in Germany and have gone through the extensive visa process. I know what to do, what needs to happen, how to go about doing it, etc. But I am confused about Canada. No matter where I look (I've done hours of research) or who I talk to, I cannot find a straight answer. Is it possible (like it is here in Germany) to simply go to Canada, rent an apartment (I can legally be there for 6 months), find a job, and then get a work permit/visa? Thanks!

newtone

Champion Member
Nov 10, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
expat_us said:
I am no stranger to the visa/expat world. I currently live in Germany and have gone through the extensive visa process. I know what to do, what needs to happen, how to go about doing it, etc. But I am confused about Canada. No matter where I look (I've done hours of research) or who I talk to, I cannot find a straight answer. Is it possible (like it is here in Germany) to simply go to Canada, rent an apartment (I can legally be there for 6 months), find a job, and then get a work permit/visa? Thanks!

Its a little different here, you cant just come on visitors visa rent an apartment and get a job offer right away. Half of third world country would be empty if that were the case. Anyhow by the sounds of it seems like you need to apply as a Permanant Resident here is the link

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/index.asp

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo - Conjugal Partner
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
From the CIC website http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/arriving.asp

"Most visitors to Canada are not allowed to work or study in Canada without a permit.

If you require a study permit or a work permit, you must apply for it before coming to Canada. If you are visiting Canada and you want to apply to work or study, you must leave Canada and apply from your home country. However, in some cases, working without a permit or studying without a permit is allowed." See above for links to the exemptions mentioned in the last sentence.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can definitely come and visit Canada for up to 6 months but of course like in Germany or any other country, it is up to the IO if they let you in. If they believe you are planning on working illegally or overstaying, they will not let you in.

You can rent an apartment or a room with the only problem being possible credit checks as you will not have any credit history in Canada and of course you also don't have a job.

You can look for work but in order to hire you, the employer must apply for your LMO (Labour Market opinion), proving that he has advertised and found no Canadian or PR who wanted or was qualified to do the job. With that, you can drive to the US border and get your work permit as you enter Canada again.

You can also check if you qualify for a NAFTA visa, see http://www.canadavisa.com/nafta-temporary-work-permit-canada.html Then you would not need an LMO to get a work permit, just a job offer in the right occupation.

canada_com

Jan 25, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Small businesses in Canada are going to benefit from the recent measures introduced for reducing tax credit and red tape.