+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Getting rid of my current work permit?

Kalergie

Oct 22, 2009
Hi there,

This might be a strange question, as most people here are eager to obtain a permit. I want to get lose it. Here is my situation.

I am holding a temporary work permit which expires in July 2010. I am currently in Canada and will start a new job in June. My future employer said, they would apply for a new work permit which is valid for 3 years. However, they cannot do so unless I get rid of my current permit as I cannot have 2 permits at the same time. How do I get rid of my current permit? I will leave the country anyway before my new job starts. Can I make my current permit void at the Airport?

Thanks for your help

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
Kalergie said:
Hi there,

This might be a strange question, as most people here are eager to obtain a permit. I want to get lose it. Here is my situation.

I am holding a temporary work permit which expires in July 2010. I am currently in Canada and will start a new job in June. My future employer said, they would apply for a new work permit which is valid for 3 years. However, they cannot do so unless I get rid of my current permit as I cannot have 2 permits at the same time. How do I get rid of my current permit? I will leave the country anyway before my new job starts. Can I make my current permit void at the Airport?

Thanks for your help
Resign from your current employer. Then apply for a new work permit with the new employer. Hopefully everything is in order (job offer/positive LMO) with your new employer. You can't start working for the new employer though until you get the new WP.

Kalergie

Oct 22, 2009
Thanks for your answer.

I am currently holding an open WP but it expires soon. My new employer will be able to give me a 3 year permit but to do so, I apparently am not allowed to have another WP. I want to leave Canada while my new employer sorts out my new WP. My question is, how can I prematurely stop my current WP? Can I go to the immigration office at the airport and get my WP made void?

Thanks!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Kalergie said:
Thanks for your answer.

I am currently holding an open WP but it expires soon. My new employer will be able to give me a 3 year permit but to do so, I apparently am not allowed to have another WP. I want to leave Canada while my new employer sorts out my new WP. My question is, how can I prematurely stop my current WP? Can I go to the immigration office at the airport and get my WP made void?

Thanks!
1. When you apply for a new work permit and it is issued, the old one becomes void. No you can't go to the airport to cancel the old.

Lhay

Star Member
Sep 2, 2009
Hello everyone,

since the topic was about the work permit, do i have to resign first to my current employer before i send my application for a new work permit? I'm under live-in caregiver and waiting for a new LMO from new employer which is on processing right now. Thanks in advance.

Kalergie

Oct 22, 2009
Thanks for the answer. Another question regarding the same topic. Will I lose my temporary residence status if I leave Canada now to go back home?

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
Kalergie said:
Thanks for the answer. Another question regarding the same topic. Will I lose my temporary residence status if I leave Canada now to go back home?
Depends if you need visa to enter Canada. If you need a visa (counterfoil stamped on the passport) and it is single entry then you would have to apply for another TRV before you can enter Canada even with a valid WP.

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
Lhay said:
Hello everyone,

since the topic was about the work permit, do i have to resign first to my current employer before i send my application for a new work permit? I'm under live-in caregiver and waiting for a new LMO from new employer which is on processing right now. Thanks in advance.
Hi Lhay,

Sorry just saw this post. You don't have to resign from your current employer. Send your new application when you get your new LMO. You can't work for your new employer till you receive your new work permit. You may have to give notice to your current employer before you move to the new employer, but your current employer know you're looking for a new one, doesn't s/he? Hope I made sense :) Pasensiya na. Did not see it.