+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Getting Married!

Jun 24, 2010
Hello,

We are getting married in two weeks and looking for some help! We've read about the process for spousal sponsorship, but would like to hear first hand from some people about their experience.

Also, my soon to be husband lives in Canada with me already (has been up in Canada for 3 months). Will this cause a problem with the application?

Is the approval process difficult, how long did it take you? Any insight that you could give us would be fantastic!

Thanks

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
CanadianChicky said:
Also, my soon to be husband lives in Canada with me already (has been up in Canada for 3 months). Will this cause a problem with the application?
No. The main thing the visa officer is concerned about is whether your relationship is genuine. Actually living with your spouse or partner is excellent evidence that your relationship is real.

It will help us answer your questions if we know a bit more about you. What country is your fiance from, for example?

Welcome to the forum!

bobshynoswife

Nov 16, 2009
St Albert, AB
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-05-2010
File Transfer...
22-06-2010
Interview........
24-08-2010
VISA ISSUED...
24-08-2010
LANDED..........
09-09-2010
Congratulations!!

I am new to this process myself, having been married 2 months and just got my 1st stage approval today! Yeah!

Depending on where your husband is from will help people give you advice on applying inland vs outland, and the general procedure. I suggest you start reading all the guides and forms for Sponsoring a Spouse on cic.gc.ca

Laura

Jun 24, 2010
Thank-you all for your quick replies!

My husband to be is from the USA. We've been dating 1.5 years and living together just over 3 months.

Laura, I have all of the documents printed and ready to go. Did you apply right after your were married?And congratulations to you as well! :)

bobshynoswife

Nov 16, 2009
St Albert, AB
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-05-2010
File Transfer...
22-06-2010
Interview........
24-08-2010
VISA ISSUED...
24-08-2010
LANDED..........
09-09-2010
We applied as soon a possible. We were married in Nigeria on April 22, I arrived home in Canada on May 3. It took me about 2 weeks to get the entire application together (had to add wedding and honeymoon details and photos) as well as proof read it 4 or 5 times to make sure there were no errors.

Make sure you have a lot of proof of the progression of your relationship. How you met, photos from trips to visit each other, phone bills, skype logs, postcards, text messages etc. Also proof that he is visiting you now and has been visiting for a few months. Get a lot of photos of the wedding and reception (which you probably would anyways!) and keep receipts for things like license, rings, reception stuff etc. Just about every question on the questionaire form needs supporting evidence.

The only hold up for you will be obtaining your marriage certificate. Depending on what province this is done in it can take up to 8-10 weeks.

Oh! I almost forgot...FBI check! Has your fiancee submitted his fingerprints for FBI check yet? They are taking 13 weeks right now so it's best to do that ASAP.

Have his medical done by a DMP shortly after the wedding while you are waiting for the marriage certificate.

And of course, as he is American you will be applying outland, yes? There are TONS of posts with American spouses and you'll be able to get all the info you need.

Welcome to the forum! I hope you have a fabulous wedding.

Laura

Kess

May 19, 2010
BC Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-08-2010
AOR Received.
09-30-2010
File Transfer...
07-09-2010
Med's Done....
25-05-2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
11-08-2011
VISA ISSUED...
26-08-2011
LANDED..........
06-09-2011
If your husband-to-be is living with you, sounds like you are probably going to be applying as an 'inland' application. Shouldn't cause any problems but from what I can tell sounds like it will take longer then an outland application. My husband is from the US and applying outland (he is staying down there and working until approved so the financial stress is less) so I don't know as much about the inland process.

There should be a lot of helpful information on this forum.

And yes, definately make sure you look into FBI criminal record check and the medical exam. We didn't think ahead on the FBI check and are still waiting for the results to come back.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
Your fiance is visiting you in Canada, so he can apply 'outland' or 'inland'. 'Outland' is usually faster. Since your husband is American, he can come visit you easily without a visa, so 'outland' is better.