+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Getting married post CoPR (before soft landing)

kushagra452

Apr 28, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi everyone!

If I do a soft landing in Canada before my wedding date (27 Jan) then will I be able to sponsor my wife after 27 Jan? Please bear in mind that my printed PR card will only reach me by mid March. I am in a dilemma whether to spend the air fare right now and do a soft landing only to find out that I won't be able to sponsor my wife.

Another thought that crossed my mind was to travel to Canada post wedding for my honeymoon. However, since I will be "married" (as per traditional rituals but no marriage certificate) landing using the present CoPR might be taken as a misrepresentation.

Trying to find the best way forward. Thanks for taking time to read and reply!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi everyone!

If I do a soft landing in Canada before my wedding date (27 Jan) then will I be able to sponsor my wife after 27 Jan? Please bear in mind that my printed PR card will only reach me by mid March. I am in a dilemma whether to spend the air fare right now and do a soft landing only to find out that I won't be able to sponsor my wife.

Another thought that crossed my mind was to travel to Canada post wedding for my honeymoon. However, since I will be "married" (as per traditional rituals but no marriage certificate) landing using the present CoPR might be taken as a misrepresentation.

If you decide to get married first, you have to return your COPR and add your wife to your application before you can land in Canada and become a PR. You cannot use your COPR to land.

Reactions: kushagra452

kushagra452

Apr 28, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you decide to get married first, you have to return your COPR and add your wife to your application before you can land in Canada and become a PR. You cannot use your COPR to land.
Thanks!

What happens if I land before my wedding (for just 2-3 days) and then return to Delhi for my marriage. Will I get my PR card (after the usual processing time of 30-45 days)?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
A PR card will only be mailed to a Canadian address so you would need to have the card couried to you by a friend or relative.. Current average processing for a new card is 54 days . Alternatively you could soft land return to India and apply immediately for a PRTD as a backup option if time is a factor to wait for someone to send you your card.

A PR card or PRTD are only required to board a plane not to submit a spouse sponsorship given once you have completed your initial landing you will have landed PR status in the immigration system

There are various posts on here around on the pros/cons of adding new spouse to COPR before landing delaying landing or sponsoring post landing which might possibly take longer. Either or would be a personal decision to take based on circumstances so no recommendation here. As posted above under no circumstances should you get married first but then land as single,

Last edited:

Pari17

Nov 28, 2018
Hi guys,

I am in same boat.. I landed for few days and came back to India for marriage. Now m married n waiting for PR card which is taking long.. If i apply for PRTD. How much time it takes to get PRTD. Also should i mention the actual reason of coming back or something else.

kushagra452

Apr 28, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I will be updating CIC of my marriage and submit the required documents.

Will my spouse need to appear for IELTS and submit her transcripts? I believe my spouse will only need to submit PCC and medical test reports.

Thanks!

Reactions: mpsqra

mpsqra

Champion Member
Jul 6, 2017
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Hi everyone!

If you land before your weeding, you can sponsor your wife, it would last like a year.
If you land after your weeding, you can never sponsor your wife.
I suggest to stop your immigration process, then got married and you can include your wife in your immigration process, then you can land together in about 6-9 months.

kushagra452

Apr 28, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you land before your weeding, you can sponsor your wife, it would last like a year.
If you land after your weeding, you can never sponsor your wife.
I suggest to stop your immigration process, then got married and you can include your wife in your immigration process, then you can land together in about 6-9 months.
Thanks. I plan to update CIC post my wedding and submit the required documents for my spouse. Will she need to give the IELTS and submit transcripts?

mpsqra

Champion Member
Jul 6, 2017
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Thanks. I plan to update CIC post my wedding and submit the required documents for my spouse. Will she need to give the IELTS and submit transcripts?
She needs the police record,, so send it with the up date,,, wait for them for more documents request, Meanwhile do the test and translate the transcript,,, you will need them for some educational requirement in Canada if they don't ask for them.