+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

getting married next fall, helppppp

togirl

Aug 31, 2007
hi, i am a canadian citizen who has been dating my boyfriend from venezuela for 2 years. we are planning on getting married in canada next fall.
i have a few questions if anyone could please help!!!

1) how long on average do the sponsorship papers take to process

2) would it be better to marry him this xmas in venezuela so we can start the process and then by the fall when he moves here the process would likely be complete

3) if i become his sponsor can he get a job in canada or does he still have to apply for a work permit

4)if i wanted a lawyer to take care of the entire immigration what are the approximate costs involved

5)if he comes here as a visitor next fall and we marry while he is here can we start the process the day after our marriage

if anyone could help that would be great. i have no idea what to do !!!!! ahhhhh

Gotchaa

Star Member
Aug 9, 2007
Dear togirl, Glad to know you found a man of your life. Wish you all the best in future. You should apply soon after getting married to him. www.cic.gc.ca is the best site for all your questions about time, process and expenses. You are not obligated to hire any lawyer or consultant to sponsor your partner. Everything is available on this website and you can fill the forms easily but just have to be careful. Always keep photocopies of the forms and documents that you will send to the immigration authorities for future referrence. Lawyers might cost you a lot in my opinion and it will not guarantee success or faster processing of your application.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

togirl said:
hi, i am a canadian citizen who has been dating my boyfriend from venezuela for 2 years. we are planning on getting married in canada next fall.

a. If you marry in Canada and submit an in-canada application, it will take 8/9 months to reach the Approval in Principle (AIP)stage, and then another 3/4 months to "landing" You should note that he cannot work or attend school until the AIP stage.
b. If you marry in Venezuela, and process the application through Missisuaga 49 days for approval/rejection of the sponsor and then 4-10+ months at Caracas to have a visa issued.

2) would it be better to marry him this xmas in venezuela so we can start the process and then by the fall when he moves here the process would likely be complete

Your choice, but you know he requires a TRV (visitor visa) to come to Canada, which may be difficult as they will not issue one so that he can come to Canada to marry.

3) if i become his sponsor can he get a job in canada or does he still have to apply for a work permit

See 1 above.

4)if i wanted a lawyer to take care of the entire immigration what are the approximate costs involved

Phone around, but you and he still have to gather all the information including the police certificates.

5)if he comes here as a visitor next fall and we marry while he is here can we start the process the day after our marriage

Yes, but don't forget he requires the police certificates from each country where he has lived for more than 6 months, and a medical exam from the DMP before you can submit the sponsorship. Lots of information that you require at www.cic.gc.ca

if anyone could help that would be great. i have no idea what to do !!!!! ahhhhh
PMM

SEVEN07

Star Member
Mar 4, 2012
Caracas
Category........
Visa Office......
Caracas-Venezuela
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AUG 2011
AOR Received.
NOV 2011
File Transfer...
JAN 2012
Med's Done....
JUL 2011-JUL 2012
Passport Req..
NOV 2012
VISA ISSUED...
DEC 2012
togirl said:

what happen with u?????