+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Get married before landing, not sponsoring my spouse

Workaholic2020

Mar 12, 2020
Hi everyone, I am sending this post for a question that I cannot find an answer for, because many people have similar but not the same situation as me.

My question is, during COVID-19, when is the best timing to get married, given that:
1. My application status: after biometrics, before PPR.
2. My boyfriend does not need my sponsorship for Canada PR because he cannot move to Canada in 1-2 years. He wishes to be sponsored after I get Canada PR and move to Canada later.
3. I wish to get Canada PR as soon as possible.
4. Let us presume that both COVID and Trump (and his EO to ban H1bs from entering the US) will continue to exist for the upcoming days.
5. My boyfriend and I are living together now.
6. Both of us are in H1b status but have no valid visa. He has a tourist visa in Canada.
7. Neither of us want to leave North America since our home country is experiencing political turmoil.

Given the above circumstances, I think we have the following options:
1. Get married before I get PPR, and report to IRCC.
I need to notify IRCC in this scenario, and the process might be delayed because of this change.
If he does not require my sponsorship, how long typically will this process need?
2. Land, get my PR, and come back to get married.
Due to COVID and the Trump EOs, this option is risky. I may not be able to get my visa to come back.
I know there is the option of auto-revalidation, but my last valid visa was F1 and expired 8 years ago. Since then I have not left the US and all my status is gained domestically. I do not know if this F1 can work out.
Also, I have heard that even after landing, I need to keep my marriage status for 6 months. Is this true? I cannot find any policies about it.
3. Him to come to Canada to get married after I get my PR.
Given the current situation, I doubt whether this can work out because he only has a traveler's visa.
4. After I get my PR, get married online.
Is this even possible?? I know there are legal online marriage services right now, but the immigration effect of the marriage license they issued is doubtful. I do not want to take this risk.

We cannot choose among them since all have their pros and cons during the pandemic. I am leaning towards 1, but worry that it will further delay the process, and we may fail to maintain our status at this crazy time.

Any suggestions/facts/experiences are appreciated. We will make our decisions after careful consideration of all we know.

Thanks so much for all your suggestions - if I come to know anything, I will post it here too.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Hi everyone, I am sending this post for a question that I cannot find an answer for, because many people have similar but not the same situation as me.

My question is, during COVID-19, when is the best timing to get married, given that:
1. My application status: after biometrics, before PPR.
2. My boyfriend does not need my sponsorship for Canada PR because he cannot move to Canada in 1-2 years. He wishes to be sponsored after I get Canada PR and move to Canada later.
3. I wish to get Canada PR as soon as possible.
4. Let us presume that both COVID and Trump (and his EO to ban H1bs from entering the US) will continue to exist for the upcoming days.
5. My boyfriend and I are living together now.
6. Both of us are in H1b status but have no valid visa. He has a tourist visa in Canada.
7. Neither of us want to leave North America since our home country is experiencing political turmoil.

Given the above circumstances, I think we have the following options:
1. Get married before I get PPR, and report to IRCC.
I need to notify IRCC in this scenario, and the process might be delayed because of this change.
If he does not require my sponsorship, how long typically will this process need?
2. Land, get my PR, and come back to get married.
Due to COVID and the Trump EOs, this option is risky. I may not be able to get my visa to come back.
I know there is the option of auto-revalidation, but my last valid visa was F1 and expired 8 years ago. Since then I have not left the US and all my status is gained domestically. I do not know if this F1 can work out.
Also, I have heard that even after landing, I need to keep my marriage status for 6 months. Is this true? I cannot find any policies about it.
3. Him to come to Canada to get married after I get my PR.
Given the current situation, I doubt whether this can work out because he only has a traveler's visa.
4. After I get my PR, get married online.
Is this even possible?? I know there are legal online marriage services right now, but the immigration effect of the marriage license they issued is doubtful. I do not want to take this risk.

We cannot choose among them since all have their pros and cons during the pandemic. I am leaning towards 1, but worry that it will further delay the process, and we may fail to maintain our status at this crazy time.

Any suggestions/facts/experiences are appreciated. We will make our decisions after careful consideration of all we know.

Thanks so much for all your suggestions - if I come to know anything, I will post it here too.
1. Add spouse and wait for COPR, If married before your landing.
2. Waiting period is for Common-law partner (and no waiting period for spouse).
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5289-sponsor-your-spouse-common-law-partner-conjugal-partner-dependent-child-complete-guide.html#incanada
"in a conjugal relationship with a sponsor for at least one year"

No waiting period for sponsoring spouse.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/family-sponsorship/spouse-partner-children/eligibility.html

3. Travel issue exists for you as well as the other person.

Reactions: Workaholic2020

Workaholic2020

Mar 12, 2020
1. Add spouse and wait for COPR, If married before your landing.
2. Waiting period is for Common-law partner (and no waiting period for spouse).
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5289-sponsor-your-spouse-common-law-partner-conjugal-partner-dependent-child-complete-guide.html#incanada
"in a conjugal relationship with a sponsor for at least one year"

No waiting period for sponsoring spouse.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/family-sponsorship/spouse-partner-children/eligibility.html

3. Travel issue exists for you as well as the other person.
Thank you for the response!
Option two (common-law relationship) sounds like a viable pathway here. Would you mind specifying what you refer to by "waiting period"?

We have been living together in a committed relationship for over 2 years. We can demonstrate:
  • joint leases or rental agreements
  • bills for shared utility accounts, such as:
    • gas
    • electricity
    • wifi
  • important documents for both of you showing the same address, such as:
    • driver’s licenses
    • insurance policies