+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Get into Canada with no H.S./GED

JonthueM

Oct 2, 2017
Hi! My name is Jonthue Michel and I want to move to Canada while retaining my U.S. citizenship. I have not serious or now standard educational background and I fear that it may be one of the things that will hinder me from finding work or even obtaining residency. I have been a missionary within the states & done a little bit of web development for WordPress but not enough development to generate a livable wage even though it could be sharpened. I am in love with someone in Toronto near North York, so I desire to reside there while she is studying at a university.

Big question is, is there hope? I barely know where to start.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Finding work tends to be extremely difficult as a foreign worker since employers have to go through a long and very expensive process to request permission to hire you (with no guarantee of approval at the end). Your situation is complicated by your lack of education and work experience. This will certainly work against you. However if you want to try, you can certainly try applying for jobs in Canada. Make sure you go through reputable job sites like indeed and linkedin - there are a lot of scams out there. In order for you to qualify to apply for a work permit - the employer not only has to give you a full time job offer - but also obtain an approved LMIA (permission to hire you). This process typically takes 4-5 months and requires the employer to start by advertising the job for at least a month to prove no Canadian could be found for the role. If you want the honest truth - it's highly unlikely you're going to find an employer and job.

Another way of getting to Canada would be through a study permit. However in order to go this route, you'd need a bank balance of at least $25K to be approved.

If the person you want to be near to is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident, she could also sponsor you for permanent residency once you are either married or have lived together for at least one year continuously to become common law.

Qualifying to immigrate on your own isn't possible at this point based on your lack of education and experience. Once you have a few years of experience - there's a chance it may be possible.

Reactions: JonthueM

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
EDIT: Just realized you haven't completed high school or your GED. So a study permit is out. You'd need to complete high school or obtain your GED before considering coming to Canada on a study permit.

Qualifying to immigrate on your own with your current level of education will be extremely difficult. Canada's economic immigration programs are generally geared towards those with university and college degrees.

JonthueM

Oct 2, 2017
EDIT: Just realized you haven't completed high school or your GED. So a study permit is out. You'd need to complete high school or obtain your GED before considering coming to Canada on a study permit.

Qualifying to immigrate on your own with your current level of education will be extremely difficult. Canada's economic immigration programs are generally geared towards those with university and college degrees.

I see! And so basically either I get married or get a GED since school is definitely not an option

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I see! And so basically either I get married or get a GED since school is definitely not an option
Even with a GED, it's still extremely unlikely you're going to find a job in Canada or be able to easily immigrate. If you don't have the funds for a study permit - then your most realistic path to living in Canada is marrying your girlfriend and having her sponsor you for PR.

JonthueM

Oct 2, 2017
live together as in w
Even with a GED, it's still extremely unlikely you're going to find a job in Canada or be able to easily immigrate. If you don't have the funds for a study permit - then your most realistic path to living in Canada is marrying your girlfriend and having her sponsor you for PR.
If I marry her what would be the condition for this sponsorship, she can barely support herself because she is also in school. I want to provide. Can I digitally freelance as I reside in Canada

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
live together as in w

If I marry her what would be the condition for this sponsorship, she can barely support herself because she is also in school. I want to provide. Can I digitally freelance as I reside in Canada
You won't be able to live in Canada until the PR application has been fully processed and your PR visa is approved. Once you are a PR - you can certainly freelance if you wish.

There is no minimum income requirement to sponsor a spouse - however CIC has to be convinced that she will be able to support you and that you won't need to go on social assistance. If she is in school, best way to demonstrate this is for you to have employment (ideally full time) in the US and submit proof of this employment as part of the PR sponsorship application (including payslips and tax returns ideally) to demonstrate that you are employable and that you plan to do the same once you are allowed to move to Canada.

Reactions: JonthueM

JonthueM

Oct 2, 2017
You won't be able to live in Canada until the PR application has been fully processed and your PR visa is approved. Once you are a PR - you can certainly freelance if you wish.

There is no minimum income requirement to sponsor a spouse - however CIC has to be convinced that she will be able to support you and that you won't need to go on social assistance. If she is in school, best way to demonstrate this is for you to have employment (ideally full time) in the US and submit proof of this employment as part of the PR sponsorship application (including payslips and tax returns ideally) to demonstrate that you are employable and that you plan to do the same once you are allowed to move to Canada.
She is on social assistance could our marriage affect her status.

Could freelance be consider self employed as in work visa?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
She is on social assistance could our marriage affect her status.

Could freelance be consider self employed as in work visa?
That chances things significantly. She cannot sponsor you if she is on social assistance. While there is no income requirement to sponsor a spouse - you cannot be on social assistance. So until she gets off social assistance and can stay off - sponsoring you is not an option

No - you cannot get a work permit based on freelance / self employment. You need a full time job offer from an employer in Canada and that employer needs to obtain an approved LMIA.

JonthueM

Oct 2, 2017
That chances things significantly. She cannot sponsor you if she is on social assistance. While there is no income requirement to sponsor a spouse - you cannot be on social assistance. So until she gets off social assistance and can stay off - sponsoring you is not an option

No - you cannot get a work permit based on freelance / self employment. You need a full-time job offer from an employer in Canada and that employer needs to obtain an approved LMIA.

WOW!!!! It seems like either she decides to get off or I happen to find a company that will hire me. One way or another this would take a miracle. hmmmmm.. We'll time to exercise my Christian faith :) I will let you know how I get in. Thank You btw for your time. At-least now I have a direction. What is the best directory for employment? monster or indeed