+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Generalized Anxiety in Schedule A Background Declaration?

goldfinger

Nov 18, 2019
Hello,

My wife has gone to the doctor for anxiety, and currently takes a low dose of antidepressants. In question 4 of the Schedule A Background Declaration, the form asks if the applicant has ever had a serious disease or physical or mental disorder. Would we have to mention this?

Let me know. Thanks!

CanadianCatLady

Star Member
Jul 5, 2020
Hello,

My wife has gone to the doctor for anxiety, and currently takes a low dose of antidepressants. In question 4 of the Schedule A Background Declaration, the form asks if the applicant has ever had a serious disease or physical or mental disorder. Would we have to mention this?

Let me know. Thanks!
Personally we have chosen not to put my spouse’s anxiety on the forms because it doesn’t affect her functioning to a serious level. She takes meds and is fine, just like someone with asthma or allergies. However some people with anxiety are completely debilitated by the symptoms, rendering them unable to work for example. So I think it depends on the severity.

goldfinger

Nov 18, 2019
It depends on how 'serious' is defined. What does your doctor say?
Not much. Frankly, I would be nearly uncomfortable including it. Much like Canadian Cat Lady, it doesn't affect her functioning on a serious level. She's able to work, attend school, and honestly has it all pretty under control.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
As a fairly simple rule of thumb, if she's not been hospitalised or institutionalised as a result of this - or other serious incidents - she can feel reasonably comfortable that it's not a serious condition.

Obviously there can be other factors, but just seeing a doctor and taking some meds on their own not automatically serious.

Note for spouses one if the main considerations is public health ie threats to others. If nothing of that sort, likely no reason to consider serious.

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
Hello,

Let me know. Thanks!
I agree with the others, I don't think it is a serious disease nor mental disorder. Even if it was, with it being a spousal sponsorship it wouldn't be grounds for a rejection.