+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Generalist

Tintin1984

Star Member
May 25, 2015
Hi

I’m currently based in the UK with my Canadian husband, and we’re in the process of applying for PR. I’m basically a generalist, I graduated in History and Politics, and have had various management positions mainly in education, project management and policy. For the past 3 years I’ve been working in central government in education.

If we get PR I’m planning in the long term to retrain as a psychotherapist. But in the short term I’ll need to find work in Canada. I’ve noticed on Canadian job boards, jobs seem to be very specific. My questions are

Is it possible to get an office job based on my generalist skill set?
ANd how difficult is it to work for the Canadian government?

Thanks in such advance

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi

I’m currently based in the UK with my Canadian husband, and we’re in the process of applying for PR. I’m basically a generalist, I graduated in History and Politics, and have had various management positions mainly in education, project management and policy. For the past 3 years I’ve been working in central government in education.

If we get PR I’m planning in the long term to retrain as a psychotherapist. But in the short term I’ll need to find work in Canada. I’ve noticed on Canadian job boards, jobs seem to be very specific. My questions are

Is it possible to get an office job based on my generalist skill set?
ANd how difficult is it to work for the Canadian government?

Thanks in such advance
If you have jobs now wouldn’t suggest you move without having secured jobs. We are about to go through a bad recession where hiring may be frozen in most places.

Tintin1984

Star Member
May 25, 2015
Hi thanks for your reply

We haven’t moved yet, as we are still in the process of applying for the PR. I’m just trying to get prepared if and when we do move, which is why I asked whether it would be possible to get office work based on my experience.
Thanks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi thanks for your reply

We haven’t moved yet, as we are still in the process of applying for the PR. I’m just trying to get prepared if and when we do move, which is why I asked whether it would be possible to get office work based on my experience.
Thanks
Really depends if the economy is doing well and where you move. People with Canadian experience and experience in the field tend to be selected first for administration job. Are you bilingual (English/French). That will certainly help if you are trying for any government jobs but especially federal government jobs that often require you to be bilingual although some aren’t very strong in both languages. Your uk experience will be valued more than other countries. There is generally competition to get govern,ent jobs especially those with decent pay because they usually come with a good benefit package. It really depends on so many things like where you live in Canada. I mentioned before, if you have jobs you should only move back to Canada if you have at least one job because we are entering a recession and jobs may be hard to get. the only issue is that you and your partner will have to prove that you will be relocating soon after you get PR to get approval.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Re Federal Government Jobs. I’ve gone thru the process for several departments, though don’t work their anymore . Canuck is correct when mentioning if you are bilingual, you’ll definitely have an advantage, and depending upon the position & benefits , some give a bilingual bonus . The process is extremely competitive. Typically you have to go thru the multiple testing first , then proceed onto the next level . Then the next level . Then Interviews, then security . It’s NOT a short process compared to the private sector. So if you apply for Fed jobs, be prepared to wait the process out . And it’s not who you know . Typically testing is done by a different government department, so everyone , regardless of who you know , is on equal footing

Tintin1984

Star Member
May 25, 2015
hi both, thanks for your replies.

In terms of the recession- the same will be happening in the UK and worldwide, due to COVID19, and we understand that this will make getting a job harder.

Unfortunately I'm not bilingual, but I am planning on learning some French, although learning a language takes some time :). But I have just over a year! We're looking to move to Vancouver, and it's interesting to hear how competitive the process is- it's similar in the UK- you have to get through a load of tests, and the security takes ages. My partner will be working in the VFX industry and will be planning on finding work before we go out.

I guess ultimately I just want to get an office job when I move to Vancouver, and I'm hoping my experience will be enough to get me one.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
hi both, thanks for your replies.

In terms of the recession- the same will be happening in the UK and worldwide, due to COVID19, and we understand that this will make getting a job harder.

Unfortunately I'm not bilingual, but I am planning on learning some French, although learning a language takes some time :). But I have just over a year! We're looking to move to Vancouver, and it's interesting to hear how competitive the process is- it's similar in the UK- you have to get through a load of tests, and the security takes ages. My partner will be working in the VFX industry and will be planning on finding work before we go out.

I guess ultimately I just want to get an office job when I move to Vancouver, and I'm hoping my experience will be enough to get me one.
Due to the high cost of living many families have moved away so you are likely to be able to find a job.

Reactions: Tintin1984