Dec 18, 2008
The Middle East
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If I have already done the Academic IELTS (for professional licensure purposes)... will the same suffice for the FSW requirement?

or should I apply for the General IELTS and sit another exam? Just checking if I can get out of paying and sitting for another exam.

Thanks!

BobbyB

Champion Member
Feb 10, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My 2 Cents Worth: Personal Opinion
If I were U, I will write a letter to prove my proficiency and attach all necessary documents. But don't forget that what the CIC is looking for is, How you have been using English Language in a Working Environment.

rupeshhari

VIP Member
Sep 15, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 2008 to CIO
Doc's Request.
Jan 2009
AOR Received.
Feb 2009 from VO
IELTS Request
Didn't do IELTS.
File Transfer...
Not transfered to regional office.
Med's Request
July 2010 with RPRF and another PCC.
Med's Done....
Meds - September 2010. PCC - Late Oct 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Early November 2010
VISA ISSUED...
December 2010 - Exactly days shy of 2 years since I sent in my application to CIO.
LANDED..........
If the academic IELTS get you to 67 points, I would use that since you have already done it.

The risk is that they want you to still do general IELTS and come back and ask you to do general, in which case your application gets delayed. Thats the risk that you are taking.

wpc71

Dec 17, 2008
well, they say General, but my feeling is that in special cases they might accept the academic one especially considering the fact that two sections of both modules are the same.. In my case, I already had a General IELTS dated 2 years ago and had longtime work experience in English but decided to sit te test again to avoid the risk. I feel proof of language proficency is really important to the CIC.

BobbyB

Champion Member
Feb 10, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The idea is this. You apply to go to a country where the official language is English (Not talking about Quebec Now- that is a different scenario). Where the day to day means of communication is English. If you are not conversant with that Language, How are you going to establish yourself economically? So, that is why the Language proficiency is a Must, a prerequisite. However, if you can prove that you live and work in an English speaking country and your Company and the medium of communication is English, then, one is likely to get away by writing a letter to that effect. This is what I personally think .
#
I have also seen on this forum where people have spoken of references, and that they should request the employer to include on the reference that the medium of communication is/was English. To me that doesn't look to be the Norm. I have personally not seen such a reference letter , in which the Medium of communication is stated. ( I may be wrong though.)

rupeshhari

VIP Member
Sep 15, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 2008 to CIO
Doc's Request.
Jan 2009
AOR Received.
Feb 2009 from VO
IELTS Request
Didn't do IELTS.
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Early November 2010
VISA ISSUED...
December 2010 - Exactly days shy of 2 years since I sent in my application to CIO.
LANDED..........
a friend of mine stated the language of his education and work has always been english and his argument got accepted. He didn't need much points though. SO i did the same. My work people did write that the language of communication is english in their letters.

In my letter arguing my proficiency in english, i did point out to them that i asked my employer to mention the language of my work.

Don't know if it will work.

BobbyB

Champion Member
Feb 10, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Fair enough. I understand what you mean. Maybe if you request they write that English was the means of communication. I have over 20 years of work (life) Experience references and none of them has that stuff in it, even though 85% of them are in the English Language.

rupeshhari

VIP Member
Sep 15, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Dec 2008 to CIO
Doc's Request.
Jan 2009
AOR Received.
Feb 2009 from VO
IELTS Request
Didn't do IELTS.
File Transfer...
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Early November 2010
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
yeah, i dont think its a standard thing to mention in a reference letter. actually if i had to see that, i'd find it funny. i saw this not so much as a reference letter but an information letter to cic.

who knows? maybe it won't fly and i'd have to do ielts. urgggh. that'd be frustrating, just to have to drive 2 hours, find parking, etc to write the exam....and the cost. i wish i had only needed 8 points from English.

BobbyB

Champion Member
Feb 10, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Well u never can say. It might do the "Abracadabra" . I personally think you shouldn't have any problems because of
1)your SA Background
2)living, studying and working in the USA.