+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

General holiday pay in Alberta

ErickNL

Mar 15, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I'm just wondering what exactly you're entitled to as an employee. I hear different things from different people. When I look at the employment standards, for when the holiday falls on a day you normally work, it says:

Pay the employee an amount that is at least the average daily wage of the employee,
plus pay an amount that is at least 1.5 times the employee’s wage rate for each hour of
work that the employee worked on the day of the general holiday.

or

Pay the employee an amount that is at least the employee’s wage rate on each hour of
work that the employee worked on a the day of the general holiday, plus provide the
employee with one day of holiday no later than the employee’s next annual vacation and
general holiday pay of an amount that is at least the employee’s average daily wage. See
section 29 of the Code.

I showed this to my boss, but she says we only get time and a half, anything else is an employers incentive. She also said that if she were to close the store it would just be a normal day off. Since I'm hearing all these different things from people and then reading this in the employment standards I just want to make sure everything is being done right.

Anyone able to shed some light on this? Thanks.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can phone the employment standards people and ask them. They will explain it to you.

Here is their number: 780‑427‑3731 (Edmonton area) 1‑877‑427‑3731 (Toll-free)
taken from: http://work.alberta.ca/employment-standards.html