+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Gaining evidence

super11

Nov 18, 2011
Hello,

Me and my girlfriend have decided to get married and have realized that she is going to have to sponsor me.
I am wondering however, how important it is to get evidence of "proving" our relationship exists. Do we have to have the evidence? Or is it just if they ask for evidence?

Is there a certain amount of evidence that we need to provide them? We have plenty of proof of our relationship, though some of it is rather personal and I'd rather keep it between me and her then share it with strangers. I am sure though that the more evidence we probably have is the better?

Anyways, I guess what I'm asking is when we fill out our paperwork, do we just provide them with a large amount of evidence of our relationship so there are no questions about it. such as emails, gifts, messages, plane tickets, etc?

ddobro2

Champion Member
May 4, 2011
Montreal, QC Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes. Best not to skimp, although it depends a bit on the visa office.
super11 said:
Anyways, I guess what I'm asking is when we fill out our paperwork, do we just provide them with a large amount of evidence of our relationship so there are no questions about it. such as emails, gifts, messages, plane tickets, etc?

sidkrose

Apr 25, 2011
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Berlin
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-07-2011
AOR Received.
24-10-2011
Med's Done....
08-07-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
15-11-2011
VISA ISSUED...
25-11-2011
LANDED..........
10-12-2011
Yes, you will have to get over sharing your relationship with complete strangers, we all do :p Unfortunately it is a necessary evil. It's best to have a nice cross-section of evidence: photos, emails, phone records, proof of living together or visits, cards or letters (either to each other or from others to both of you) chat records, joint accounts/credit cards, joint purchases, declaring one another as beneficiary, proof of wedding ceremony and/or trips together. Etc. Be creative :)

You don't have to send it ALL, but just make sure you send a nice complete picture of your relationship. Just think "if someone looked at this pile of evidence, would they know that we are a genuine couple, who have known each other for x amount of time, who really love each other and plan on a future together?" If the answer is yes, you're good to go :)

EDIT: also, don't underestimate the value of including things that show that you know each other's families. Social ties as a couple are important. You should give OP2 a readthrough, it'll give you the right idea.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/op02-eng.pdf

super11

Nov 18, 2011
Thanks a lot, sidkrose!

I find the last bit a little hard because, about family and all because I am in a same sex relationship and not all members of my family would be...very supportive of my relationship.

Anywho, regardless, we have loads of love letters written to each other and have friends who have met her, etc.

I hope it isn't too difficult!

sidkrose

Apr 25, 2011
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Berlin
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-07-2011
AOR Received.
24-10-2011
Med's Done....
08-07-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
15-11-2011
VISA ISSUED...
25-11-2011
LANDED..........
10-12-2011
Friends are good too! Just anything that shows you are trying to integrate your lives socially as well as financially and all that other good stuff. :) Just go by the OP2, try to present a really well rounded, well organized, well explained app, and you'll be just fine.

scarycemetery

Oct 13, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Damascus
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-11-2010
Doc's Request.
16-08-2011
File Transfer...
10-01-2011
Med's Done....
09-11-2010 and 04-11-2011
Interview........
24-11-2011
Passport Req..
19-01-2012
VISA ISSUED...
23-01-2012
LANDED..........
09-02-2012
Provide as much evidence as you can :)

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo - Conjugal Partner
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
super11 said:
Thanks a lot, sidkrose!

I find the last bit a little hard because, about family and all because I am in a same sex relationship and not all members of my family would be...very supportive of my relationship.

Anywho, regardless, we have loads of love letters written to each other and have friends who have met her, etc.

I hope it isn't too difficult!
Don't worry about how your family members support or lack thereof will play in your processing. Many same sex couples are in similar circumstances and officers have seen it all before. If you feel, when you are putting your app together, that this is a weakness just explain in your own words what the situation is with your families and how you and your partner are best trying to deal with it.

The OP 2 manual is really a great resource for understanding what should go in a application. I often post this link and refer to sections 5.25 and 5.26 particularly for reading about evidence to support your application. You might also want to look at the sections about same sex partners.

Allison