+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

From Working Holiday to Student Visa

Milo2980

Star Member
Oct 9, 2013
Hello nice to meet you all!

I would be grateful if you could help me to solve a serious problem/doubt... you solve a problem and immediately arrives a new one!
Anxiety forever! Never rest!!!

So:
I am in Canada under a Working Holiday Visa. It lasts 6 months.
It will expire in November.

I have been accepted in a college diploma program. I have the acceptance letter.

Everyone told me that it is better for me to apply for the student visa while I am here as a Worker, before the expiration of my 6 month above mentioned work permit.
Because if I let it expire and exit and reenter Canada (or I extend my working holiday visa with +6 month as a visitor), I can't apply for a student visa from Canada, but I must come back in my home country and apply from there.

This is clear.

Almost everyone told me too that, if I apply for a student visa before my work permit expires, then I can stay in Canada after its expiration date, because I am "covered" until I get a response for the application of the new visa (in my case, the student visa).

This was clear... until I found a worrying information picked up from CIC:

As a temporary resident (TR), if you send your application for an extension of your authorization to remain in Canada at the latest on the expiry date of your status, you will be considered in status as a TR until a decision is made on the application. This is known as an Implied Status*.

* Participants in international youth exchange programs (e.g., Student Work Abroad Program (SWAP), International Experience Canada (IEC) or Working Holiday Program (WHP)) do not benefit from implied status, unless extending a work permit not initially issued for the time limit authorized by the program.

So, according to CIC, since now I am under the WHP, I can't benefit from from implied status!!!

So, please HELP!!!!

I apply for the student visa before my WHP expires. OK.
But then?? When my WHP will expire in November, what should I do??? Which will be my status? I can't stay in Canada then?!

Thanks!!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Milo2980 said:
Hello nice to meet you all!

I would be grateful if you could help me to solve a serious problem/doubt... you solve a problem and immediately arrives a new one!
Anxiety forever! Never rest!!!

So:
I am in Canada under a Working Holiday Visa. It lasts 6 months.
It will expire in November.

I have been accepted in a college diploma program. I have the acceptance letter.

Everyone told me that it is better for me to apply for the student visa while I am here as a Worker, before the expiration of my 6 month above mentioned work permit.
Because if I let it expire and exit and reenter Canada (or I extend my working holiday visa with +6 month as a visitor), I can't apply for a student visa from Canada, but I must come back in my home country and apply from there.

This is clear.

Almost everyone told me too that, if I apply for a student visa before my work permit expires, then I can stay in Canada after its expiration date, because I am "covered" until I get a response for the application of the new visa (in my case, the student visa).

This was clear... until I found a worrying information picked up from CIC:

As a temporary resident (TR), if you send your application for an extension of your authorization to remain in Canada at the latest on the expiry date of your status, you will be considered in status as a TR until a decision is made on the application. This is known as an Implied Status*.

* Participants in international youth exchange programs (e.g., Student Work Abroad Program (SWAP), International Experience Canada (IEC) or Working Holiday Program (WHP)) do not benefit from implied status, unless extending a work permit not initially issued for the time limit authorized by the program.

So, according to CIC, since now I am under the WHP, I can't benefit from from implied status!!!

So, please HELP!!!!

I apply for the student visa before my WHP expires. OK.
But then?? When my WHP will expire in November, what should I do??? Which will be my status? I can't stay in Canada then?!

Thanks!!
1. YOu are confusing apples and oranges. The quote is for persons on a WHV/IEC who are apply to extend that status. You are applying for study permit, not a work permit.