+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Frequent Visits to Canada

killborn

Star Member
Jan 6, 2015
Hello all, I appreciate some advice on options to proceed.
Situation is as follows. I am a US Permanent Resident (9 months from citizenship). I have a home and a good job in the USA, but would like to start spending more time visiting with my GF in Vancouver. I have already spent the required amount of time for the physical presence test in the USA so spending 9 months traveling won't be an issue.
My plan is to keep a US Home and job and work remote. I travel frequently in the USA for work and would need to enter/exit Canada on a visitor visa (on arrival with my green card) for the 12 months it takes it prove common law in Canada, without actually moving there officially.
Will it be an issue for me having frequent travel in and out of Canada? Will it help me applying for a NEXUS card to alleviate unnecessary questions?

What would be the best means to then move onto permanent residency with a work permit after the first year?

Would I be able to take my vehicle up over the border for the duration of my stay into Canada? Anything I need to be aware of there?

Look forward to advice, thank you all.

killborn

Star Member
Jan 6, 2015
I should have noted that she is Canadian. If flying I would enter through Vancouver. Driving would be Huntingdon close to Abbotsford, BC.

brucem

Apr 21, 2014
Edinburgh
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-07-2014
Doc's Request.
23-01-2015
AOR Received.
22-08-2014
File Transfer...
22-08-2014
Med's Done....
26-06-2014
VISA ISSUED...
08-05-2015
LANDED..........
08-07-2015
killborn said:
I should have noted that she is Canadian. If flying I would enter through Vancouver. Driving would be Huntingdon close to Abbotsford, BC.
In order to qualify under common law you need to be residing with your girlfriend continuously for 365 days. Furthermore, you need to evidence that you are living together through a lease, mortgage, utility bills, photos etc etc. Simply visiting for a few weeks at time then returning to the US will not work to build up 365 days.

I would suggest that you look at the application forms for both inland and outland family class sponsorship on the CIC website first to familiarise yourself with what is required for PR sponsorship as this is a substantial undertaking for your girlfriend as she will be financially responsible for you for three years when you receive PR.

You can apply for a work permit (OWP) if you submit and inland application and there is a new pilot project just started which states that those applying should receive a work permit within 4 months while their application is processed. However, the whole PR process (inland) takes upwards of two years and it is very risky to leave Canada during that time as if you are denied entry your application for PR would be cancelled. Outland applications are usually faster but you cannot work in Canada (unless you do it remotely as you suggest).

I would also suggest checking out the family class sponsorship area of the forum for far more info on the PR process.

killborn

Star Member
Jan 6, 2015
Thanks. We have already started toward gathering evidence of our relationship and will be starting to gather evidence through bills/lease etc for proof of living together.
These I can do as a visitor and don't foresee an issue. My GOES application for Nexus has been approved preliminary pending my interview (approved in 2 days). If I can get to an interview office and get my Nexus it should smooth some of my entry and exit for a few months as I work towards 12 months of living together.

Feasible?

Additional process of sponsoring and financial support is feasible for us and I don't see an issue there. We both have decent jobs. Thanks for the advice.

brucem

Apr 21, 2014
Edinburgh
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-07-2014
Doc's Request.
23-01-2015
AOR Received.
22-08-2014
File Transfer...
22-08-2014
Med's Done....
26-06-2014
VISA ISSUED...
08-05-2015
LANDED..........
08-07-2015
killborn said:
Thanks. We have already started toward gathering evidence of our relationship and will be starting to gather evidence through bills/lease etc for proof of living together.
These I can do as a visitor and don't foresee an issue. My GOES application for Nexus has been approved preliminary pending my interview (approved in 2 days). If I can get to an interview office and get my Nexus it should smooth some of my entry and exit for a few months as I work towards 12 months of living together.

Feasible?

Additional process of sponsoring and financial support is feasible for us and I don't see an issue there. We both have decent jobs. Thanks for the advice.
Sounds like a good plan. Just don't leave Canada for too long while you are building up time for common law otherwise the visa officer could see it as a break in the relationship. There has been a few examples on the forum where one of the couple has left for a few weeks and this has been interpreted as a break thus setting the clock back to zero and having the app rejected.

Nexus card should make life a bit easier crossing the border, just remember not to bring all your worldly goods as you are only in Canada as a visitor until your PR app gets approved. If CBSA think you are moving permanently before your PR you are going to get a tough time at the border. Good luck though.