+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Forming a startup corporation while holding a visitor visa

sa_armin

Feb 17, 2020
I'm planning to incorporate a business in Toronto with a Canadian citizen. I hold a visitor visa and not yet traveled to Canada. My intention to get a visitor visa was a family visit and this opportunity happened later.
Now, I'm afraid if I incorporate a business in Canada, it may have legal consequences because I do not have a work permit. I already know that incorporating a business in Canada is legal in my case but what about visiting my partner and discussing our business and its technical issues together.
I have no intention to work in Canada before getting a startup visa. But I may travel to Canada for a family visit and also meetings with my business partner.
As we are going to enroll in an incubator, generally we should have a registered corporation. I'm working on our project from my country of residence (Iran). I just one to make sure that I'm on the safe side and I'm not breaking any law.
That would be highly appreciated if someone can help me figure out what to do.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I'm planning to incorporate a business in Toronto with a Canadian citizen. I hold a visitor visa and not yet traveled to Canada. My intention to get a visitor visa was a family visit and this opportunity happened later.
Now, I'm afraid if I incorporate a business in Canada, it may have legal consequences because I do not have a work permit. I already know that incorporating a business in Canada is legal in my case but what about visiting my partner and discussing our business and its technical issues together.
I have no intention to work in Canada before getting a startup visa. But I may travel to Canada for a family visit and also meetings with my business partner.
As we are going to enroll in an incubator, generally we should have a registered corporation. I'm working on our project from my country of residence (Iran). I just one to make sure that I'm on the safe side and I'm not breaking any law.
Sounds like you will be working while in Canada.

Rach03

Star Member
Aug 15, 2019
My suggestion is you and your partner contact the incubator in Canada first. You explain the situation, you show them your business, then they will let you know if you need to come to Canada before applying for startup visa. Because like you said, it might lead to a bad consequences afterward. It is for the best not to risk anything.