+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Flagpoling

Dikshitchadda

Star Member
Aug 5, 2019
Hi guys
Is it possible to make a flagpole at Canada-USA border in order to obtain a new work permit in recent time?
Please advise.
Thanks
Please share if anyone had any recent experience.

bluffmaster88

Jun 5, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi guys
Is it possible to make a flagpole at Canada-USA border in order to obtain a new work permit in recent time?
Please advise.
Thanks
Please share if anyone had any recent experience.
No, you can't. They temporarily stopped flagpoling.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Fine but currently flagpoling from within Canada is currently not supported plus there are restrictions to cross the Canada/US border as well unless essential travel which this would not be.

Re flagpoling from within Canada see the temp worker section

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/services/covid/non-canadians-canadiens-eng.html

Last edited:

kashy885

Oct 28, 2020
Fine but currently flagpoling from within Canada is currently not supported plus there are restrictions to cross the Canada/US border as well unless essential travel which this would not be.
If you have a valid job offer, is that not an essential non-discretionary travel reason?
See below;
Eligibility requirements if you apply when you enter Canada at a port of entry
You should apply for your work permit before you travel to Canada.

However, you can apply for a work permit when you enter Canada if you’re eligible.

To apply at a port of entry (POE), you must be

There are other requirements depending on the type of work permit you’re applying for.

Open work permit applicants
You must also have a valid job offer while COVID-19 travel restrictions are in place.

Employer-specific work permit applicants
Your employer must have completed all of the required steps for your employer-specific work permit.

sahilarora2003

Mar 13, 2013
Surrey
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
09-09-2022
Doc's Request.
20-12-2022
AOR Received.
09-09-2022
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
13-10-2022
For
But I am outside Canada and would be arriving from the United States.
I have proof of employment at an operating Canadian business.
The only thing I am not sure of is, do I need to be a US citizen or resident to be eligible?
If you are a temporary worker, you may enter Canada as long as you qualify under current entry restrictions and meet the criteria outlined in this section.

Arriving from the United States
If you are a temporary worker arriving from the United States, you must also prove to the CBSA that you meet one of the following criteria:

• you currently live in Canada and have a valid work permit
  • you are coming to Canada for the first time to begin work (employment) and
    • you have a valid work permit or a work permit approval letter and
    • you have proof of employment at an operating Canadian business
  • you are eligible to apply for a work permit at a port of entry and have proof of employment at an operating Canadian business

It clearly says that you are a foreign worker and coming from United States. Whether you are a resident, citizen or foreign national who is in US for whatever reason. If you can fulfill one of the conditions and prove it to CBSA officer, they will let you in. That's what i believe. Maybe someone else can share their thoughts on this one. Good Luck!

kashy885

Oct 28, 2020
For

If you are a temporary worker, you may enter Canada as long as you qualify under current entry restrictions and meet the criteria outlined in this section.

Arriving from the United States
If you are a temporary worker arriving from the United States, you must also prove to the CBSA that you meet one of the following criteria:

• you currently live in Canada and have a valid work permit
  • you are coming to Canada for the first time to begin work (employment) and
    • you have a valid work permit or a work permit approval letter and
    • you have proof of employment at an operating Canadian business
  • you are eligible to apply for a work permit at a port of entry and have proof of employment at an operating Canadian business

It clearly says that you are a foreign worker and coming from United States. Whether you are a resident, citizen or foreign national who is in US for whatever reason. If you can fulfill one of the conditions and prove it to CBSA officer, they will let you in. That's what i believe. Maybe someone else can share their thoughts on this one. Good Luck!
Thank you for clarifying.
Let me show you the confusing part;

However, you can apply for a work permit when you enter Canada if you’re eligible.

I have a valid Canadian visitors TRV. Does this mean "eligible for ETA...." would not apply to me?

sahilarora2003

Mar 13, 2013
Surrey
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
09-09-2022
Doc's Request.
20-12-2022
AOR Received.
09-09-2022
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
13-10-2022
Thank you for clarifying.
Let me show you the confusing part;

I have a valid Canadian visitors TRV. Does this mean "eligible for ETA...." would not apply to me?
What is your nationality?

kashy885

Oct 28, 2020
Are you currently in Canada right so you're suggesting entering the US and turning around to apply for a WP and not entering via the US because you've been living in the US? That wouldn't be considered essential travel.
No I don't live in the US. I have some work in the US and then would come to Canada to apply at POE. I have an existing business (started last year) in Canada and was in Canada in January this year. The plan was to come back in April/May to kickstart full operations because we were sorting out regulatory stuff which was concluded in April. I was approved for LMIA exempt and I actually have an ongoing WP application since October but it has been delayed due to Covid. Going to the border will hopefully speed up the process. It is essential because my physical presence is essential for the business to fully kickoff. I am not coming for leisure and vacation. I have proof of all the processes and operations we had started pre-covid.