+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

"Flagpoling" without auto

Desdemona

Feb 14, 2011
I am currently in Canada, recently received my PR visa, and just need to "land". My husband doesn't have a passport, so him driving me across the border so I can return to land, is out of the question. Is it maybe possible for him to drive me to the border, and I cross to the US side and return to the Canadian side? Would the border officials look askance at me? For the record, I would be landing at the Windsor-Detroit border crossing. I am so nervous about this, so any advice would be appreciated.

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It's perfectly possible to land by foot. No worries, relax, it's been done before and will be done again. :)

Just make sure you check online first that the border crossing you want to use allows pedestrians. I couldn't find official information for the Ambassador Bridge between Windsor and Detroit, but according to Wikipedia they are not allowed. :( I'd phone up the CBSA to make sure, otherwise find someone who can drive you, take a bus, or find an alternate border crossing that does allow pedestrians.

Desdemona said:
I am currently in Canada, recently received my PR visa, and just need to "land". My husband doesn't have a passport, so him driving me across the border so I can return to land, is out of the question. Is it maybe possible for him to drive me to the border, and I cross to the US side and return to the Canadian side? Would the border officials look askance at me? For the record, I would be landing at the Windsor-Detroit border crossing. I am so nervous about this, so any advice would be appreciated.

Desdemona

Feb 14, 2011
Ya, I see there is a shuttle bus operating between Detroit and Windsor, so maybe I could do that. I was just wondering if perhaps anyone had ever been through this border crossing, and if there was somewhere to turn around, so my husband wouldn't need to enter the US, since he has no passport. I've heard you can do that at some places. Anyhow, thank you very much for your answer :)