AOR Received.
12-09-2012 AIP
Interview........
Waived!
VISA ISSUED...
24-11-2013 DM
LANDED..........
Hopefully Dec. 2013?
I am currently employed and my TWP is valid until the end of the month. I got a job offer from a new employer plus positive LMO confirmation. I also have a pending Inland PR and no AIP yet.

Since it takes almost 2 months to renew a work permit online, and I do have to start working Sept 1st (no workaround to this, there really is no one who would be able to do the job but me and it has to be done asap), I will have to flagpole and apply for the renewal of my TWP at port of entry.

I do know that it's dicey to leave Canada and that we should have applied outland (we didn't realize the latter was an option when we submitted our paperwork). I do have to stay employed because my husband (the sponsor) lost his job a few weeks after our baby was born, and I took over as the main breadwinner of the family.

How do I best proceed with this? I'm from a visa exempt country and planning to take a copy of my PR application to the border with me, plus the additional paperwork for the TWP.

Should I travel by myself or drag my Canadian spouse and our baby along? What do I say at the border? Do I have to disclose that I have a pending Inland PR? Or say something about dual intent? Or do I just say I would like to renew my work permit to temporarily work in Canada? I'm from a visa exempt country.

I welcome any recommendations/experiences.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
If you are using the new work permit forms, they ASK you about prior applications, so that you must disclose this fact on your application. Further, since you are on an INLAND application, you'd have to find a border officer in a VERY bad mood to refuse to renew your work permit - the CIC manuals strongly discourage it, but it isn't prohibited.

You're already in Canada, you're visa exempt. Your application is in process (have a copy of it and/or any AOR and receipts just in case). You have a Canadian spouse and a baby. You have your LMO and job offer and so forth. Thus, this should all be fairly normal. I've had very little problem dealing with CBSA at the border - for them it's all about the paperwork, and it sounds like you have that covered. It would be truly extraordinary if they refused to process your work permit.

I'd suggest going to the border when it's quiet and during office hours, so if there are ANY questions they can call and confirm things with ease. Pick a large border crossing where they are used to this sort of thing. Or check to see if you can do it at the airport if you don't want to go all the way to the border. And don't put it off for much longer - after all, September 1 is just a week away.

Bottom line: you have to go to the border. I don't see why you'd want to drag your spouse and child with you, as you have everything you need. CBSA sees "dual intent" all the time, and nothing you've described sounds like it will kick up red flags for them.

As an aside, did your husband take family leave time? If not, he should, since he's eligible for it and it would provide partial income while he's home taking care of things. ;)

Deutschbug

Star Member
Dec 1, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-12-2011
AOR Received.
12-09-2012 AIP
Interview........
Waived!
VISA ISSUED...
24-11-2013 DM
LANDED..........
Hopefully Dec. 2013?
Thank you for the reassurance. I've decided now that I'll just cross by myself. I'm not even all that worried and think it'll most likely be fine and I'm just ever so slightly nervous- it's my husband who's extremely freaked out. The mere idea of me not being able to enter again is giving him the heebiejeebies. I'll report back how things went.

Deutschbug

Star Member
Dec 1, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-12-2011
AOR Received.
12-09-2012 AIP
Interview........
Waived!
VISA ISSUED...
24-11-2013 DM
LANDED..........
Hopefully Dec. 2013?
Went to Niagara Falls on Tuesday to flagpole for work permit renewal, and it was a total non-event.

Crossed the bridge, got administrative refusal from the US, walked back, got work permit issued. Took about 30 minutes in total, and the view from the bridge is awesome btw- best view you get on the falls, in my opinion.

They never asked about ties to home country or anything. Only asked if I was married (yes), and then later while handing back my passport and new permit the officer very casually asked what my long term plans were and if I was planning on applying for PR. I said I already did and the guy just said something along the lines that it's unfortunately a really long and drawn out process, and then he wished me goodbye. Everyone was friendly and professional.

They did want to see my resume which I didn't have with me, but I was able to show them notarized and translated copies of my degree certificates, which satisfied the officer that my skills match the job description in the offer letter.

Very good experience overall.