+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

First Generation Canadians born abroad Sponsoring US Dependent Child

lasbagman

Nov 28, 2009
A question My wife and I are first Generation Canadians born abroad. We are in the process of obtaining our Citizenship Card. Next step will be Can Passport and SIN. We have a 13 year old daughter born in Las Vegas, Nevada. We are seriously think about relocating to Canada within the next 2 to 3 years.
Should we start the process from the USA or Canada ?
How difficult is it ?. Without a PR card she could not be registered in school as they require pr card. looking for some pointers from someone who has done this.

Thanks

Karlshammar

Champion Member
Sep 3, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You'd have to apply to sponsor her if she's not Canadian by birth. Once that has been approved, she'll become a PR when you enter Canada.

lasbagman said:
A question My wife and I are first Generation Canadians born abroad. We are in the process of obtaining our Citizenship Card. Next step will be Can Passport and SIN. We have a 13 year old daughter born in Las Vegas, Nevada. We are seriously think about relocating to Canada within the next 2 to 3 years.
Should we start the process from the USA or Canada ?
How difficult is it ?. Without a PR card she could not be registered in school as they require pr card. looking for some pointers from someone who has done this.

Thanks

Suin

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
CIC Etobocoke, H&C Grounds
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-03-2014
File Transfer...
31-07-2014
Med's Request
09-12-2014
LANDED..........
24-02-2015, PR Card Received: 02-04-2015
if you become Canadian citizens you can apply for her citizenship right away too.
I would say in the US during all the process not to take her from school she is attending - the complete process can take upto 2 years.
maybe seniors can help in this matter too.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You don't need a PR card to register your kids in school. There are loads of foreign workers and international student families in Canada who have their kids in school without a PR card.

However, getting things legally arranged would be better for sure, the sooner the better. As a Canadian born abroad, if you have gained citizenship with the new law, that may not extend to your daughter. You would have to ask the embassy if she qualifies for citizenship too. If not, you can start her sponsorship for PR while you are still in the US. It is not too complicated and should not take more than a few months.

lasbagman

Nov 28, 2009
Thanks Leon,
My wife and I are Canadian citizens due to Bill C37- we are just waiting for my Father in laws Birth Certificate to come from Ontario. I did call CIC and I was advised my wife and I would need to Sponsor her. Once my wife and I have our docs in place, we will then apply from the USA to sponsor her as a PR and then Citizenship for her. My wife and I both have Canadian fathers and our families never thought to do a RBA for us.
if one of our Fathers did , My daughter would also be Canadian Citizen now.