+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

First DUI - approved but months away from PR

Dratos

Jun 12, 2019
I have sponsored my common-law partner for PR, originally from Mexico. She has been approved but the application process is still ongoing; she is also presently on a work visa until those PR papers finalize (~5months away). Over the weekend she made horrible mistake and was arrested for a DUI, blowing over 0.80 with a G-class license (less than double the legal limit). No injuries as a result, and otherwise, a clean record.

We have hired a reputable criminal lawyer and are awaiting first trial in a months time. We have been researching and are very concerned as DUI's are now classed under "serious" criminal offense which is deportable.

We are praying for the charges to be dropped or at the very least lessened to careless driving.

Have others been in the same boat? She is less than 30 years of age, no priors, a skilled worker, and terrified of deportation. What can we expect?

Thank you

Last edited:

yoks20

May 14, 2013
Philippines
Category........
Visa Office......
Vfs manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
July 5, 2019
Doc's Request.
11-07-2019
AOR Received.
04-07-2019
Med's Request
Waiting
Med's Done....
Waiting
I have sponsored my common-law partner for PR, originally from Mexico. She has been approved but the application process is still ongoing; she is also presently on a work visa until those PR papers finalize (~5months away). Over the weekend she made horrible mistake and was arrested for a DUI, blowing over 0.80 with a G-class license (less than double the legal limit). No injuries as a result, and otherwise, a clean record.

We have hired a reputable criminal lawyer and are awaiting first trial in a months time. We have been researching and are very concerned as DUI's are now classed under "serious" criminal offense which is deportable.

We are praying for the charges to be dropped or at the very least lessened to careless driving.

Have others been in the same boat? She is less than 30 years of age, no priors, a skilled worker, and terrified of deportation. What can we expect?

Thank you
Ive been in same situation i hired a good lawyer because i know that i have a good chance technically sure enough the charge was dropped thanks God! You did a right thing hiring a lawyer as long that you know that you are not really guilty re drinkinking and driving

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
You did a right thing hiring a lawyer as long that you know that you are not really guilty re drinkinking and driving
"Not really guilty"? It sounds like the OP's wife was guilty, but is seeking to avoid prosecution. While your (and her) charges may be dropped, don't think that makes you innocent. You put your own and other lives at risk, and hopefully you have learned from your mistake instead of diminishing its importance.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017

Thank you
DUI can be serious.
That's what I've been reminding my husband and other friends who is going through becoming a PR and trying to get their citizenship.

DUI is bad to begin with and getting DUI charge/arrest can really affect PR and citizenship application.
So do not drink and drive.

Last edited:
Reactions: yoks20

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013

Thank you
Not only deportable but would make her inadmissible to Canada for quite a while. This would terminate any Work Permit or PR application.

Reactions: yoks20

schilz

Star Member
Dec 25, 2018

Thank you
Any update to your case Dratos?

mmanny

Jun 22, 2017
Hi Dratos .. what happened in your trial ? i am in the same situation , trial is in dec 2019 .
pls share your experience