+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Finding work as a French teacher

Jan 30, 2021
I am planning to migrate to Canada by next year and have been learning French now. Can I work as a French teacher in Canada with C2 level certification?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You need to find the employer first but there is no employer in this forum.

Jan 30, 2021
I am casually asking that can I become a French teacher with C2 level certification from India. I will find an employer before I migrate to Canada. I have cousins settled there already.....

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I am casually asking that can I become a French teacher with C2 level certification from India. I will find an employer before I migrate to Canada. I have cousins settled there already.....
First step is to get your license in the province you are moving to. You can’t teach in any language without a license. Your education will be assessed as well as work experience. Then you may need to re-take some of your education or practicum. Usually you do this once you land as PR. Then focus on your French Immersion qualifications.

Jan 30, 2021
Ok......U mean after landing as PR, I need to take-up some education in French in Canada......Further, obtain a teaching license and then apply for the French teaching job....Right???. @Naturgrl

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Ok......U mean after landing as PR, I need to take-up some education in French in Canada......Further, obtain a teaching license and then apply for the French teaching job....Right???. @Naturgrl
Well to teach in a public school in Canada, you need a provincial license. Select the province you want to move to and then look at that province’s teachers licensing requirements. It is hard to get licensed when out of the country. You will not get a job in teaching until you get PR. Without PR, Schools need to have positive LMIA (prove no Canadian can do the job) and then you apply for a closed work permit. Schools aren’t applying for LMIAS. Focus on getting your PR.

Jan 30, 2021
Ya, of course, I would first take PR....Get in the country.....apply for a teaching license after that......Is C2 level certification from India will be enough to teach after obtaining a license.... @Naturgrl

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Ya, of course, I would first take PR....Get in the country.....apply for a teaching license after that......Is C2 level certification from India will be enough to teach after obtaining a license.... @Naturgrl
Again I said you need to select the province you are moving to and look at their requirements for not only teaching but teaching in French Immersion. Your biggest challenge is just getting licensed as a teacher. C2 is proficient and fluent speaker so that should not be an issue.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Some schools are French immersion where half the day is English and the other half French. I assume you are a licensed teacher in India so look at the Ontario teaching license.