+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Finding Forestry jobs

Lolotte

Nov 11, 2020
Hi everybody!:D

I was wondering if there was any chance to find a job online in the forestry sector before (or better: in the hopes of) moving to Canada. My husband has a Masters in forestry from Germany (where we live) and 2 years of experience in the field. We both speak english and I am also pretty fluent in french. If there was a chance to find a job: Is a work permit enough to move there and live there (for both of us) or do we still need to apply for the express entry beforehand. It seems complicated to me...:oops: Thank you!
Charlotte

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
You want to pursue express entry first and get invited so you then have authorization to live and work in Canada permanently. You can’t just get an job offer and apply for a permit. The employer needs to apply for a LMIA and prove that there is no Canadian to do the job. The employer has to complete a market assessment and show why hiring a foreign employee will help build the business and hire more Canadians. Then if approved, you apply for a closed work permit. The process for a LMIA takes months.

You can both apply for a 12 month working holiday visa. The process is on hold and oversubscribed due to Covid. You apply separately.

Lolotte

Nov 11, 2020
Hi, thank you for your response! Do you mean we should apply for both the holiday visa and the express entry or just one of those? Sorry I am pretty new to all this. How long does the express entry usually take and what does it cost roughly? Thank you again!

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi, thank you for your response! Do you mean we should apply for both the holiday visa and the express entry or just one of those? Sorry I am pretty new to all this. How long does the express entry usually take and what does it cost roughly? Thank you again!
Start reading through the Express Entry - Federal Skilled Workers requirements. You need education assessments and language tests first. Then submit a profile & wait for an invitation (470+ CRS score), pay fees, medicals, biometrics, police checks....all cost money. Then you need to show a minimum of $16,000 as proof of funds. Don’t know your age but if you are under 30 with masters degrees, you have a chance of an invitation. So depending how long it takes you to get all your documents, put in a profile, get an invitation and apply for permanent residency, it can take a year or more. Working holiday visas are for one year only and are temporary.

Reactions: Lolotte

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi everybody!:D

I was wondering if there was any chance to find a job online in the forestry sector before (or better: in the hopes of) moving to Canada. My husband has a Masters in forestry from Germany (where we live) and 2 years of experience in the field. We both speak english and I am also pretty fluent in french. If there was a chance to find a job: Is a work permit enough to move there and live there (for both of us) or do we still need to apply for the express entry beforehand. It seems complicated to me...:oops: Thank you!
Charlotte
Would suggest going for the IEC unless you are sure you want to immigrate to Canada. Jobs in forestry are not that easy to get. There tends to be quite a few graduates of forestry or environmental sciences all vying for these jobs, mostly government jobs, and only so many jobs available.

Reactions: Lolotte

Lolotte

Nov 11, 2020
Thank you again for your answer! I am 28 and my husband is 31. We were planning to take the language test soon. I have the equivalent of a masters degree aswell. Maybe the working holiday visa would be a good idea to gain some working experience in Canada.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thank you again for your answer! I am 28 and my husband is 31. We were planning to take the language test soon. I have the equivalent of a masters degree aswell. Maybe the working holiday visa would be a good idea to gain some working experience in Canada.
As German citizens you get a one year visa. The program is on hold and processing is about a year (if it opens). You both have to apply separately and one of you may only be selected. If you are serious about permanently immigrating, you may have enough points if you both have a masters. You need the degrees assessed.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
As German citizens you get a one year visa. The program is on hold and processing is about a year (if it opens). You both have to apply separately and one of you may only be selected. If you are serious about permanently immigrating, you may have enough points if you both have a masters. You need the degrees assessed.
If you have jobs these aren't really ideal times to look at immigrating. Maybe in a year the economic picture will be more clear/better. IEC requires much less effort an expense to apply which is why I suggested it.