Filing taxes as ???

godisFin

Oct 15, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
07-09-2013
So I have a problem, I'm not sure do I need to fill out my taxes as non-resident, deemed resident, deemed non-resident or just as resident?

Here is my case: I worked in Canada until June 2012 (this was when my work permit expired), I returned to my home country for 2 months and flew back to Canada as a tourist and stayed there until December. My husband is Canadian.

I assumed I would fill out my taxes as deemed resident (stayed in Canada more than 183 days and my home country is not taxing me from Canadian income because I worked there already on 2011), but because I have ties to Canada (my hubby), I'm not quite sure anymore. Should I just fill out resident forms? I am currently in Canada again, as a tourist waiting for my PR.

Any thoughts, anyone?

godisFin

Oct 15, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
07-09-2013
And I can't be factual resident of Canada either.. I thought of that first. But then I noticed that I still need to be considered a resident of Canada for income tax purposes. And I'm not anymore.. after my visa expired.

ballym

Mar 23, 2013
more than 183 days... yes
with ties... hubby
does your country have tax treaty with canada? ...if yes .. then deemed Non-resident... you file as Non -res.
If not( very rare) file as immigrant
You can always send CRA form for residency determination and that will give a final answer