+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Federal skilled worker or Canadian Expereince Class?

saruacharya

Mar 22, 2010
Hi

I am currently working as a postdoctoral fellow in Ontario, Canada since June 2009. As part of my postdoctoral job, I am required to teach a class in each semester. That means I have both research and teaching experience for about 9 months. Prior to this job, I have got about six months of postdoctoral experience in the United States under OPT. Also when I was a PhD student in the United States, I taught (was a instructor) a three credit class and lab in fall 2005. Doing this extra work, I got paid in addition to my GRA stipend. For your information, in the past 10 years, I have been engaged in either a full time job or full time study (graduate research assistant, paid during my PhD in the United States). My job experience prior to my PhD is listed in the NOC (2224), but not among those 38 NOC categories. Also postdoc is also listed in NOC list but not among the 38 NOC list.

Under this circumstances, I am claiming I have over a year of experience in college instruction NOC 4131 (one semester during my PhD and 9 months in my postdoc experience here at Ontario). First, can I claim it? If yes, what are the supporting materials I need to produce in order to claim my teaching experience under NOC 4131 from my postdoc and teaching experience during my PhD study. If the answer is yes, do contracts and reference letters are sufficient?

Alternately, also I am thinking to apply under CEC, do I need 2 years or 1 year of work experience in Canada. In some of the websites it says one year, but CIC website says two years for those who got degrees from outside of Canada. It is not clear. Do this two years have to be entirely in Canada? Any information in this regard would be highly appreciated!

Thank you,
Saru

saruacharya

Mar 22, 2010
Hi all,

I would be grateful if you could kindly share your thoughts on my queries. Thank you so much in advance!

Cheers,
Saru

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
For CEC:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/EnGLish/immigrate/cec/index.asp

Couldn't be clearer. There are 2 streams, one for those who get degrees in Canada (degree plus 1 year of post-graduation work experience). Other stream is for temporary workers, who need 2 years of work experience in Canada. Yes, in Canada, that is why it is called Canadian Experience.

For skilled worker - supporting materials, see the application guide and the checklist -
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/apply-how.asp

One year of full-time work is 1950 hours, 37.5 hours per week. The equivalent in part-time experience will take longer than a year.

You don't qualify yet under the CEC or FSW program. For the latter, you will need a full year of work experience in Canada to qualify under Category 3. For Cat 2 you need a permanent job offer, and 4131 is not on the list for Cat 1.

saruacharya

Mar 22, 2010
Hi Jes_ON,

Thank you so much for a detail response. In your response, you said "You don't qualify yet under the CEC or FSW program. For the latter, you will need a full year of work experience in Canada to qualify under Category 3. For Cat 2 you need a permanent job offer, and 4131 is not on the list for Cat 1."

Could you please elaborate on these options?

a) For category 3 in FSW, I need a full one year of employment in Canada? I was confused this with CEC. That means in coming June, I will be qualified under FSW category 3 with my one year of Postdoctoral experience in Ontario.

b) "cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/apply-who-instructions.asp#list" In this link, 4131 is one of the desired NOC categories. Would not I be qualified under category 1 for FSW if I have a total of one year of teaching experience (9 months plus one semester)?

c) Yes, I disqualified under category 2 as I have only a temporary job (one and half years of job offer in Ontario).

Looking these scenarios, shall I apply in June under FSW category 3? Your advices would be highly appreciated!!

Thank you,
Saru

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Hi Saru,

a) Yes -if you can document full-time hours (37.5+ per week for for the year), and 11K in proof of funds.

b) You are right, sorry, 4121 is on the list of 38. What I forgot to say, post-docs are not 4121, they are 4122 -
http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC/English/NOC/2006/ProfileQuickSearch.aspx?val=4&val1=4122&val65=4121

So no, you would not qualify for Cat 1.

c) But if you finish your post-doc and get a "permanent" job offer in Canada (hard in academia, I know, but perhaps doing research) - then you have that option again (Cat 2 that is).

saruacharya

Mar 22, 2010
Thank you so much Jes_ON for a detail and very informative suggestions. You scored my A++ feedbacks. One question before I close this thread. Now I decided to go under FSW category 3. I started working full time (37.5 hours) from Mid June 2009. Can I send my application in early May this year, by the time CIC central intake office reviews my application in Sydney NS (it takes about 1 and half months to two months to review the application: source some internet thread in google) I will complete my one year of employment here in Ontario. Then, when I submit a full application in Buffalo, it would be certainly after June this year. Or I only can apply to central intake office in Sydney after completing a one year (compete 52 weeks i.e. 1950 hours) of employment. Any advice?

Thank you,
Saru

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
You're welcome - and good luck!

You have to complete the year before you submit to CIO-Sydney. The date that the application is received at CIO is the "lock in" date (official date) of the application.