+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

FBI Background Check - Possible Problem?

Pharoh

Oct 5, 2010
41° 59' N, 87° 54' W
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13/11/10
Doc's Request.
WAIVED
AOR Received.
28/01/11
Med's Request
Med's Received
Med's Done....
02/10/10
Interview........
WAIVED
Hi all,

I received a second copy of my FBI background check in the mail today. I was going to forward it on to Buffalo, in case they want it.

I had mailed the request from the mail room at my work, using a FedEx return label. Now that I have the results back, my letter has my name, but also 'C/O COMPANY NAME' and my company address on the letter.

...is this going to throw Buffalo for a loop? It clearly states my first and last name (though part of my middle name is cut off)

Is it a bad idea to send it to Buffalo like it is? I never intended my company name/address to be mentioned anywhere.

Please advise.

Thanks!

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Original:14Mar2007; Reprocess began after appeal:26Apr2010
Doc's Request.
Original:9May'07; Reprocess:7May'10
AOR Received.
Original:28Apr'07; Reprocess:26Apr'10
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Reprocessing:7May2010
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
I don't think it matters, but I wouldn't send it to Buffalo unless they specifically request another FBI. If they're not expecting it, it could end up in a pile of documents and get missed - and then if they really end up wanting another one, they'll request one from you and you won't have it to send.

You've only been in process in Buffalo for a little over a week. Just because your original FBI is now more than 3 months old does not mean you had to get another. They don't request a new FBI every 3 months until your application is finalized - in fact, you probably won't see a request for another one. Having dealt with Buffalo for more than 3 years, I can honestly say: Leave it alone - let them come to you if there's anything else they want. It's great to be organized, honest and pro-active - but your efforts are wasted on them.

Pharoh

Oct 5, 2010
41° 59' N, 87° 54' W
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13/11/10
Doc's Request.
WAIVED
AOR Received.
28/01/11
Med's Request
Med's Received
Med's Done....
02/10/10
Interview........
WAIVED
Hi RobsLuv,

Thanks for your suggestion. I hadn't thought of that... the idea of Buffalo losing stuff... though I know they do from time to time.

I just figured if they DID have a problem with the one I originally sent, rather than delay my application by 3 months, they could look further in the pile and see a newer one, resume processing, and put it in queue for final review/PPR.

At the same time, if I send it and they lose it, I have to wait at least a month for a new copy, then a couple months for my application to be reviewed again. If I have another copy on hand, I can send it to Buffalo right away, and perhaps wait a shorter time.

Of course, given the hell you've been through over the last few years, I'm sure you have little pity for my worries of this dragging on more than couple more months... :(

I'll hold on to it, and keep my fingers crossed.

I was going to do a State Police Certificate too. Should I get that, and just hold on to it, or get it and send it in? Or not get it at all, at this point?

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Original:14Mar2007; Reprocess began after appeal:26Apr2010
Doc's Request.
Original:9May'07; Reprocess:7May'10
AOR Received.
Original:28Apr'07; Reprocess:26Apr'10
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Reprocessing:7May2010
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
Pharoh - the thing is, if they decide they want something else from you, they're going to put a "Bring Forward" date on your file anyway. They'll request something, give you 90 days to submit it, and they won't look at your file again - even if you send what they want within a week - until that 90 days is up. They're just too busy to take each day's mail and match it all up to files and say, "Oh, OK. Now we have what we asked for, we can get on with this one."

When our case was reprocessing (and allowed appeals are supposed to be given priority processing) they requested new medicals and FBI clearances, and gave me 90 days. I got the medical done right away, and sent proof - but (as you know) the FBI dragged on for almost 3 months. I got it just two days before I received another letter from them - issued at the 90 day mark - asking again for the FBI. They gave me another 45 days to send it. So - because I had it - I sent it. After 45 days, they sent me another letter requesting something else (something they shouldn't have been requesting at all!) and that was when we got the MP's office involved again and got PPR within the week. But, by that time, our allowed appeal had been in process for 11 months! Granted, 3 of those months were waiting on the FBI - but it was very obvious that they just let the file sit during the 90 days, and then again during the 45 days, and then they were going to let it sit for another 45 days while we argued over whether my inadmissible son - over which the original ap was refused - was required to submit a new medical!!!

And - no, please don't say I don't have pity for your worries. I am well familiar with those. But, honestly, there is nothing to worry about and you're going to drive yourself to distraction if you can't just let it go and let them do their job. Buffalo used to finalize cases in a couple of months - it isn't happening that way right now. Don't set yourself up - just figure on 6-12 months and get on with life in the meantime. Don't let them waste any of your days.

Pharoh

Oct 5, 2010
41° 59' N, 87° 54' W
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13/11/10
Doc's Request.
WAIVED
AOR Received.
28/01/11
Med's Request
Med's Received
Med's Done....
02/10/10
Interview........
WAIVED
Hey RobsLuv,

Thanks for your advice. I will hold on to my FBI request, and hold off on getting the state police checks (which hopefully they won't ask for).

I didn't realize how the BF (bring-forward) thing worked. I think a lot of people assume that if documents are requested, and they can get those together and overnight them to Buffalo, they'll resume working on their application right away. If it's a 90-day "timeout" period after they request documents, there's no sense in rushing... at all. You sit and wait for another 90 days, before Buffalo even looks it over again.

You know the abuse of the Buffalo office all too well, so I trust your judgment. I also believe you have sound advice - to not worry about it, and let them to their jobs. It's out of my control, and all I can hope for is that they'll need nothing else from me. In the event they do, I can worry about it at that time. In the meantime, worrying about a non-existent problem isn't productive or healthy.

YorkFactory

Oct 18, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
RobsLuv said:
the thing is, if they decide they want something else from you, they're going to put a "Bring Forward" date on your file anyway. They'll request something, give you 90 days to submit it, and they won't look at your file again - even if you send what they want within a week - until that 90 days is up. They're just too busy to take each day's mail and match it all up to files and say, "Oh, OK. Now we have what we asked for, we can get on with this one."
I don't think this is true in every case. We got a request for a Statutory Declaration of Common-Law Union, which the instructions say to leave out. We got it to them within ten days of the date of their letter, and e-CAS showed "Decision Made" literally within hours of their receiving it.

kelKel

Champion Member
Apr 8, 2010
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-10-2010
AOR Received.
17-11-2010
File Transfer...
04-11-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
28-02-2011
LANDED..........
03-03-2011
There are Alot of factors in the amount if time it takes them to look at your file again. They may receive your extra doc but your security check isn't back yet. Or you're waiting in line for final review. Our friend received PPR a little less than 2 months after submitting extra docs. Some people one month. No hard and fast rules.