+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Family Sponsorship

kobbyduku

Mar 12, 2024
Hello friends,
I applied for spousal open work permit and visitor's visa for my family to join me in Canada. It was refused yesterday on the following basis "You have not provided sufficient evidence to demonstrate that you are the genuine
spouse or common-law partner of a Canadian study permit holder or that your spouse is a full-
time student in a qualifying program at a DLI" but I added our marriage certificate and our wedding pictures and my son's birthday certificate too.
What could be other documents were we supposed to add to prove our relationship again? Kindly help me

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello friends,
I applied for spousal open work permit and visitor's visa for my family to join me in Canada. It was refused yesterday on the following basis "You have not provided sufficient evidence to demonstrate that you are the genuine
spouse or common-law partner of a Canadian study permit holder or that your spouse is a full-
time student in a qualifying program at a DLI" but I added our marriage certificate and our wedding pictures and my son's birthday certificate too.
What could be other documents were we supposed to add to prove our relationship again? Kindly help me
It is also because IRCC doesn’t believe you are a full time student. What is your program? When do your studies finish? How old is son? How much in funds did you show?

Last edited:

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Also want to point out that you are trying to apply for SOWP and TRV for you family.
This is NOT family class sponsorship.(btw you posted at a section for people "moving from US" which I doubt that you are) This is a pretty common question for international students.
Check that section of the forum to see what others do to apply for SOWP and TRV. Also if your child is of school age, he will need a study permit and not TRV.

Reactions: Naturgrl

kobbyduku

Mar 12, 2024
Naturally, I added my admission letter, funding letter from the school, study permit, enrollment letter, student ID and emails I have been receiving from the school. I am studying 2 year degree program in Masters of Science in Chemistry at the University of Calgary.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Naturally, I added my admission letter, funding letter from the school, study permit, enrollment letter, student ID and emails I have been receiving from the school. I am studying 2 year degree program in Masters of Science in Chemistry at the University of Calgary.
How long have you been studying? How old is child?

As for spouse, assume you have lived in the same country and lived together for a number of years after marriage (or maybe before). You aren’t giving much information.

kobbyduku

Mar 12, 2024
My son turned 2 on December 30, 2023.
I have been studying here for the past eleven months. I started school on 10th May, 2023. We have lived for 3 years. But officially got married just last year.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
My son turned 2 on December 30, 2023.
I have been studying here for the past eleven months. I started school on 10th May, 2023. We have lived for 3 years. But officially got married just last year.
So that is the issue with IRCC. You got married and then came to Canada. Or came to Canada and then returned home and got married. How long were you married before you came to Canada? Did you enter Canada as single, married, common-law. If you lived together for 3 years prior to marriage then prove it. Show leases, property, utilities, bank accounts over the past few years. Show anything with your names on it to show joint ownership. IRCC doesn’t believe marriage is genuine and only done so spouse could come to Canada on work permit.

Last edited:

kobbyduku

Mar 12, 2024
I understand you perfectly well. We don't have anything like business ownership or bank accounts with our names. Our tenancy agreement form bears my name only. But I submitted, our marriage certificate, my son's hospital birth cert bearing my name and my wife's name. His biometric birth cert with our names as his biological parents. His health insurance card bearing my middle name and my surname. Kindly guide me if it's still not enough

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I understand you perfectly well. We don't have anything like business ownership or bank accounts with our names. Our tenancy agreement form bears my name only. But I submitted, our marriage certificate, my son's hospital birth cert bearing my name and my wife's name. His biometric birth cert with our names as his biological parents. His health insurance card bearing my middle name and my surname. Kindly guide me if it's still not enough
No it may not be enough. The issue is not with your son. When did you get married? When did you enter Canada as a student? Did you say when you entered Canada that you were married, single common law?

kobbyduku

Mar 12, 2024
We were still common law partners when I submitted my application. But got married even before I had medical request from ircc. So I entered Canada a married man.

kobbyduku

Mar 12, 2024
after filling IMM1295 do you still need to fill and upload Shedule 1( IMM 5257) under the "optional documens" section ?