+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

family sponsorship

anusai

Star Member
Jun 25, 2011
My husband is a PR card holder but it expired in the year June 2008. he did not renew it after that. I am
a canadian citizen and we both live outside of Canada.

My husband wants to cancel his PR status so that our son can sponsor him on visit visa. My son works in Canada.

Can our son also apply for a family sponsorship for my husband after two years ? My husband does not want to go to Canada now as he cannot find a suitable job. he prefers to continue in the country where he is now .

But in future I would like to go back and live in Canada which might happen after two years. Can we then
sponsor my husband as my children and me are all canadian citizens except my husband,

If yes, what documents are required by my son for apply for family sponsorship?

thanks

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Have you lived with your husband for at least 2 years out of the past 5? If you have, his PR is protected as a PR accompanying a Canadian citizen spouse outside Canada. What he would have to do is apply for a PR travel document at a Canadian embassy, see http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/travel.asp

He should include proof of your marriage, proof that you are a citizen and proof that you are living together, for example some utilities or official mail sent to each of you at the same address and maybe a copy of your passport showing that you have a visa to live in his country or something along those lines. After he gets the travel document, he can travel to Canada and if he wants to, he can then apply to renew his PR card.

If he ever loses his PR status, you can sponsor him for PR again but for your children to do it would be harder because the parental sponsorship is currently closed and before it was closed, the processing times were getting extremely long. There is however a visit visa for parents called the super-visa which allows them to stay longer than regular visitors.

anusai

Star Member
Jun 25, 2011
Thanks Leon for your response.

But my only concern is that since we live in the middle east, I do not have any utility bill in my name. The house contract, electricity and phone bills are all in my husband's name.

Also I have never declared myself as a NON RESIDENT CANADIAN and I am not registered myself with the canadian embassy in the country of my residence.

I did not want to declare myself as non resident as i do not want to cancel my health card in case I need some medical help when I travel.

This is the main reason why I am worried to declare as staying with my husband. I do not know if they will pull out my files to check what declaration I have given when I land in Canada. If they just check my records in the middle east, then it is fine with me.

I hope I have been able to make myself clear.

thanks

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Health care is not immigration. However, you should be worried if you go to Canada now and use your health card that if the health care somehow finds out how long you were gone, they will back charge you for what they paid for you.

anusai

Star Member
Jun 25, 2011
Hi Leon,

I read your posting on the healthcare. You mean to say if I do not use my health card that goes against me?
I went to the family doctor last in the year 2008. then in my visit to canada last year. i did not go the doctor as there was no need for me to go.

what do u advice me ? i am leaving today for canada. do u think I should go and cancel my health card? what should I say? should I mention that I am away from canada so I have not used it ? Should I tell them to put a temporary hold on my card if that is possible since I travel out of canada all the time.

Please guide me how to handle this problem.

Can u elaborate what u meant about the charges that they may ask me to pay. I did not understand that point.

thanks

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am saying that because you have been living outside Canada for some years now, your health card is most likely not valid any more. If you want to be honest with the health care, you should refrain from using that health card. Once you move to Canada again, that is if you ever do, you go to the health care and state that you have been outside Canada for so-so long and ask if your health card is still valid. If you lived in Ontario, they will most likely say that you should do the 3 month waiting period again after moving back.

Every province I know of has it in their eligibility requirements for health care that you must be living in the province at least 6 months out of every 12. If they did not know and you continued to use your card but later they might find out that you should have lost your card already, they could send you the bill to pay for the charges they had paid for you. For example, if you really should have lost your health card for being away so long but the health care doesn't know it yet, say you are in Canada next month and you become ill and must go to hospital, the health care will pay for it. However, if they later find out that you really should not have had coverage during this time, they can send you the bill later for what they paid for you.

anuj_juneja2005

Star Member
Apr 23, 2012
hi i have just received a canadian p.r. i want to immigrate my mother from india to canada under the family sponsorship programme. what is the criteria for my mother to immigrate ( ex:age, work experience ,etc) .please help (this is urgent).

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

anuj_juneja2005 said:
hi i have just received a canadian p.r. i want to immigrate my mother from india to canada under the family sponsorship programme. what is the criteria for my mother to immigrate ( ex:age, work experience ,etc) .please help (this is urgent).
1. Parental sponsorship was suspended for 2 years, so you can't sponsor your mother. She would have to qualify as a skilled worker, but that program has been suspended to at least January/13
2. She would be unable to get a Super Visa as a visitor for up to 2 years, until you meet the Low Income Cut Off figure earned from Canadian sources after you become a PR.
3. So it would appear that she is out of luck at the present time.