+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Family Information asked on two different forms.

thaihubbie

Sep 6, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Beijing
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-12-2010
File Transfer...
29-01-11
Med's Done....
12-11-2010
Passport Req..
29-01-2011
VISA ISSUED...
11-03-2011
I'm Sponsoring my Thai husband. On two separate forms it asks for information about my husband's family. The first is IMM 5406E Additional Family Information, Section A asks for his parents info. Section B asks for our child's info. These both seem reasonable enough. But Section C Brother's and Sister's info. Do we need to fill this part in? He has eight brothers and sisters...??
The second form is imm0008 Application for Permanent Residence in Canada, can I assume I don't need to put all his family members info. on that one?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

thaihubbie said:
I'm Sponsoring my Thai husband. On two separate forms it asks for information about my husband's family. The first is IMM 5406E Additional Family Information, Section A asks for his parents info. Section B asks for our child's info. These both seem reasonable enough. But Section C Brother's and Sister's info. Do we need to fill this part in? He has eight brothers and sisters...??
The second form is imm0008 Application for Permanent Residence in Canada, can I assume I don't need to put all his family members info. on that one?
1. He has to include his brothers and sisters on the 5406.
2. You only include him and any dependent children, not Citizens or PRs on the IMM08

PMM

mitamata

Nov 21, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-02-2009
AOR Received.
27-03-2009
Med's Done....
03-12-2008
Passport Req..
29-04-2009
VISA ISSUED...
06-05-2009
LANDED..........
27-07-2009
For IMM0008, the guide says:

Your family members are your spouse or common-law partner, if applicable, and your dependent children
(start with the oldest). You must include all of your family members (who are not already permanent
residents of Canada or Canadian citizens), whether they intend to immigrate with you or not. Any other
relative (your mother, father, sister or brother, for instance) is not considered a family member for the
purpose of this application. If you have more than three family members, attach a separate sheet of paper
with the same information provided in the same order
For IMM5406, the guide says:
You must answer all questions. If any sections do not apply to you, please answer “Not Applicable.”
Be sure to carefully read the guide ;)
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/guides/3999E.pdf

Remember that these are the applicant's forms (your husband's), so it's his family members that need to be listed. And it's not "our children" that need to be listed, it's "his children". Probably the same thing in your case, just want to make sure there's no confusion. If he has any other children, from a previous marriage for example, he has to list them as well.

thaihubbie

Sep 6, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Beijing
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-12-2010
File Transfer...
29-01-11
Med's Done....
12-11-2010
Passport Req..
29-01-2011
VISA ISSUED...
11-03-2011
So I have to put the Date of Birth and Place of Residence for 8 brothers and sisters and I'm not even in the same country as them to even find out this information at present.

Berti

Star Member
Sep 16, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have a similar question for IMM5406E:

This form needs to be filled out by me, I'm the husband who is sponsoring my wife, so in section A of the form, should my name by under the "Applicant" box or under the spouse/or common-law partner? Just a little confused about this, as well, i've listed my child, our child we have together in section B, even though i have already applied for our child to get Canadian Citizenship and have a confirmation from the Canadian Government that the application has been accepted and is being processed, so do i still add our child in section B?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Berti said:
I have a similar question for IMM5406E:

This form needs to be filled out by me, I'm the husband who is sponsoring my wife, so in section A of the form, should my name by under the "Applicant" box or under the spouse/or common-law partner? Just a little confused about this, as well, i've listed my child, our child we have together in section B, even though i have already applied for our child to get Canadian Citizenship and have a confirmation from the Canadian Government that the application has been accepted and is being processed, so do i still add our child in section B?
You really should read the instructions.

You are sponsoring your wife, you are either a Citizen or PR and you DONT fill out the 5406 only your wife. She includes the child on the 5406 even though s/he is a Canadian.

PMM

mitamata

Nov 21, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-02-2009
AOR Received.
27-03-2009
Med's Done....
03-12-2008
Passport Req..
29-04-2009
VISA ISSUED...
06-05-2009
LANDED..........
27-07-2009
As PPM said, that is the applicant's form, not the sponsor's. So it should be the applicant's name in the 'Applicant' box (Berti, that means your wife's name ;)

Sponsor: the person doing the sponsoring (a citizen or PR of Canada)
Applicant: the person doing the immigrating

If you look at this page (assuming you're applying outland):
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/fc.asp

Everything under 'Part 1' is to be filled out by the sponsor. So if it asks for "your children", the sponsor lists his or her children.
Everything under 'Part 2' is to be filled out by the applicant. So if it asks for "your children", the applicant lists his or her children.

thaihubbie

Sep 6, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Beijing
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-12-2010
File Transfer...
29-01-11
Med's Done....
12-11-2010
Passport Req..
29-01-2011
VISA ISSUED...
11-03-2011
So again IMM 5406 should be filled out by the Sponsored Person ie. my husband (but sorry for the confusion-I'm filling out EVERYTHING) because of his poor english skills:)
I have to put the D/O/B and place of residence for 8 of his brothers and sisters! How is CIC going to verify the correctness of these?