+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Family Class Sponsorship from Scotland to Canada

lovelyleah

May 21, 2013
Hi,

I need some information on what my partner and I should do in order to get him to be able to live here faster.

Here's some history:

We met in Aug 2010 and began a relationship after he came here to visit me for 3 weeks. He has traveled here over 5 times and some visits have been longer than 3 months (up to 5 months). He doesnt have any skills or education that would fall under the requirements to get a working visa here. We got engaged Dec 2011 and planned to get married in 2014. But this August will be 3 years together and we are tired of waiting to get the process going. I have a 4 year old son that isnt his. He has been in his life since he was a baby and adores him. My finance has stood in my friends wedding and has met all of my Family, I have also made two trips over there, one with my son. So we got a marriage license and are planning to have a small ceremony with only my best friend and her husband as witnesses, as my finance doesnt feel right to have my parents there because his parents aren't able to make it since it was something we just decided when he got here last week. ( he is staying until Oct 15th)

My Parents are okay with it but they want to know that this is the only option since we dont want to wait another year before we get married and then another year on top of that (Or more) for the application to be processed.

I know we could extend his stay and apply as common law but that is also waiting another year since we havent lived together for 12 months in a row. We have lived together for over a year in the time he has visited.

I also would like to get more information on how long it took for other people applying from the UK in a similar situation to get their PR card. I know the processing times are on the website but I have heard less time than that and wayyy longer so im just trying to get an idea.

Any advise on what to include in the application to prove that we have been together for 3 years and are in a legitimate relationship would be great as well.

Thanks,

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05/11/12, received in Canada 19/11/12
LANDED..........
24/11/12, PR card received 30/01/12
Hey,

the short answer to your question is: yes, getting married is the best way to get him fast into the country.
However, make sure that you don't "get married" for immigration. Even if it's a small ceremony, make sure that it is and looks special.
Then - include all the proofs, of his visits etc, and apply. Timeline for London currently is 10 months but if you look at the spreadsheet in my signature you will see that quite a few people get their PR faster than that.

If it's his first marriage, your first sponsorship, and you have 3 years of relationship behind you, you might be done faster...difficult to know how long as it really depends on your case, but make sure you include proofs, and also all the pieces needed : police checks, complete travel history etc. Include proofs that he is a "father to your son", that your son is used to him etc. CIC pays attention to that when children are involved.

Also - you can apply outland via London, it's faster but he can stay in Canada on a visitor visa at the same time. If his visa runs out on the 15th of October, apply for an extension a month before. INclude the proofs that you have applied for PR.

Good luck,
Sweden