+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Family Allowance & Taxes

JohnnyDamien

Star Member
Nov 10, 2021
Hello,

So my spouse is a Canadian citizen, declared taxes for 2021, received a letter for family allowance stating:
If on December 31 2021 your spouse(ME) was living:
  • In Quebec: he must file a Quebec income tax return for 2021. If he has filed a return, Revenue Quebec will inform us of the amount of his income.
  • outside of Quebec but in Canada: you must send us a copy online of his notice of assessment for 2021 issued by the CRA.
  • outside Canada: you must complete the Statement of Foreign income form and send it online.
Now, i arrived in Canada (Quebec) in March 2021 on a tourist visa, applied for spousal inland and got CSQ in December, still have not received PR. Got my work permit May 2022.
What do i do? I was in Quebec but no resident status, any info?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello,

So my spouse is a Canadian citizen, declared taxes for 2021, received a letter for family allowance stating:
  • In Quebec: he must file a Quebec income tax return for 2021. If he has filed a return, Revenue Quebec will inform us of the amount of his income.
  • outside of Quebec but in Canada: you must send us a copy online of his notice of assessment for 2021 issued by the CRA.
  • outside Canada: you must complete the Statement of Foreign income form and send it online.
Now, i arrived in Canada (Quebec) in March 2021 on a tourist visa, applied for spousal inland and got CSQ in December, still have not received PR. Got my work permit May 2022.
You are clearly a Quebec tax resident. File your tax return.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello,

You need to provide a tax return from wherever in the world you were a tax resident. You will need to prove your international income from 2021 from work, investments, interest on savings, etc. Sounds weird but it can be much tougher to prove lack of income if you had none. Much easier to prove international income if you were working, if you had a child I would provide receipt for payment of the prenatal and postpartum care you received as proof that you were on “maternity leave” and not working although didn’t qualify for EI or RAMQ,