+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Failure to disclose common law partner in Work Permit

us2canada123

Jul 26, 2021
Hi,

I'm an Indian citizen currently residing in the US. I received a job offer from a Canadian startup and got a closed work permit approved last month. I will be moving to Toronto next week.

However, I just found out about the definition of a common-law partner, and by that definition, I've been in a common law partnership with my girlfriend for a long time now, including during my work permit application. Unfortunately, I declared myself as single in the work permit application.

Is there any way I can rectify this mistake? Will this cause any issues in the future, for eg., if I sponsor my girlfriend in the future as my spouse or common law partner?

Any help will be greatly appreciated, this is causing a lot of stress in my mind. Thank you in advance!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,

I'm an Indian citizen currently residing in the US. I received a job offer from a Canadian startup and got a closed work permit approved last month. I will be moving to Toronto next week.

However, I just found out about the definition of a common-law partner, and by that definition, I've been in a common law partnership with my girlfriend for a long time now, including during my work permit application. Unfortunately, I declared myself as single in the work permit application.

Is there any way I can rectify this mistake? Will this cause any issues in the future, for eg., if I sponsor my girlfriend in the future as my spouse or common law partner?

Any help will be greatly appreciated, this is causing a lot of stress in my mind. Thank you in advance!
Yes you must contact IRCC via webform to alter your WP before you land. Yes it will have an impact if you try to sponsor your common law.

us2canada123

Jul 26, 2021
Yes you must contact IRCC via webform to alter your WP before you land. Yes it will have an impact if you try to sponsor your common law.
Thank you for the reply. I am flying to Toronto in 5 days and starting a new job there 7 days from today. Will contacting IRCC now to alter the WP cause any delays in getting the WP and starting work?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you for the reply. I am flying to Toronto in 5 days and starting a new job there 7 days from today. Will contacting IRCC now to alter the WP cause any delays in getting the WP and starting work?
Once you land your misrepresentation on your WP is essentially finalized. The proper procedure would be to correct your relationship status and get a new WP.