+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Extension on Off-Campus Work Hours for International Students in 2024

CGPerera

Oct 11, 2023
As some of you may be aware, last year the federal government eliminated the maximum off-campus working hours restriction for international students. This initiative was initially a pilot program scheduled to conclude on December 31st, 2023. As an international student, this temporary pilot program helped me to find a full time job related to my major. I'm graduating next semester and would really like to keep this job. Job hunting is also tough these days. I'm afraid the pilot program might end this year, and I could lose my job. Do any of you anticipate whether this program will be extended into 2024 or conclude by the end of this year? If the program ends this year, any suggestions on what steps to take?

Reactions: akalanka1988

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
As some of you may be aware, last year the federal government eliminated the maximum off-campus working hours restriction for international students. This initiative was initially a pilot program scheduled to conclude on December 31st, 2023. As an international student, this temporary pilot program helped me to find a full time job related to my major. I'm graduating next semester and would really like to keep this job. Job hunting is also tough these days. I'm afraid the pilot program might end this year, and I could lose my job. Do any of you anticipate whether this program will be extended into 2024 or conclude by the end of this year? If the program ends this year, any suggestions on what steps to take?
There has been no announcement of continuing the program. If it is extended, IRCC will post a news release with information on the eligibility requirements.

Reactions: CGPerera

tva

Sep 12, 2020
I did not see any updates so far on this. Have you? Hope they extend it

Reactions: Hussainaltaf

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I did not see any updates so far on this. Have you? Hope they extend it
There's been no announcement so far.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I just read this link from august 2023:

https://globalnews.ca/news/9902829/ottawa-planning-adjust-international-student-intake/

From the text:

“In November last year, the federal government temporarily lifted the limit of 20 hours per week that international students were allowed to work off campus.

The exemption will be up for renewal in December this year.”
Ok. Up for renewal doesn’t mean it will be extended. It means the policy ends December 31. Have to wait for announcement.

Ji-yu966

Nov 21, 2023
As an international student who’s provided the privilege to work 40 hours off campus helped me in finding a full time cooperate position related to my major. If the working policy does not extend I will be loosing my job as I would have to shift to part time working. An extension would allow students to keep adding Canadian experience help labour shortages and support themselves with the price hikes and also support their families on financial terms

Ji-yu966

Nov 21, 2023
We can never predict how the laws and policies change however it would always be in benefit to the majority of the community and economic welfare. The best option is to start looking out for part time work or shifting your cooperate contract to 20 hours if you are working on contract basis