+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Extension of Visa validity for COPR

searchin82

Sep 30, 2017
Hello everyone,

You appreciate if anyone can answer this for me..

My wife's currently in India (we are living in Canada for last 2 years). Her passport is requested by CIC for PR stamping and issuing COPR which we are yet to submit. She had done her medicals on 6th Jan 2017 so the expected visa expiry date on her visa should be 6th Jan 2018. However because of other family functions/ family events and the fact that grandparents want to spend time with our child, she wants to enter Canada only after mid February 2018.

Will it be a good idea to submit her passport now for stamping, then re-do the medicals and apply for visa extension or should we first re-do the medical and then send the passport for stamping and hope to get a longer expiry date?

Is there any clarity on the process to be followed in such a scenario?

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
She will have to land by whatever date is on the immigration visa for expiry. Not sure what IRCC expect for a timeline for PP submission, but I expect it's 30 days. They won't give you an extension on the immigration visa. It is use it by the date of expiry or start the process over.

Well Wisher

May 23, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2012
Nomination.....
December 2012
AOR Received.
27-02-2013
File Transfer...
27-02-2013
Med's Request
03-03-2013
Med's Done....
13-03-2013
Passport Req..
03-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
19-07-2013
LANDED..........
20-07-2013
Hello everyone,

You appreciate if anyone can answer this for me..

My wife's currently in India (we are living in Canada for last 2 years). Her passport is requested by CIC for PR stamping and issuing COPR which we are yet to submit. She had done her medicals on 6th Jan 2017 so the expected visa expiry date on her visa should be 6th Jan 2018. However because of other family functions/ family events and the fact that grandparents want to spend time with our child, she wants to enter Canada only after mid February 2018.

Will it be a good idea to submit her passport now for stamping, then re-do the medicals and apply for visa extension or should we first re-do the medical and then send the passport for stamping and hope to get a longer expiry date?

Is there any clarity on the process to be followed in such a scenario?
I won't suggest redoing the medicals, it will only extend the processing of new medicals and your almost completed application will be reopened. If I would be you, i would just submit the passport (hoping the visa expiry as late as possible) and enter Canada before that visa expires, and then can go back to India for as long as I like. I know it will cost extra round trip to India but that i would assume is the additional cost to have life in Canada. ;)

Good luck.!!