+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Extension of Temporary Work Visa

Covey

Aug 16, 2011
Hi guys,

I have returned to Canada with my second 1 year temporary work visa. I was here from January to December last year and this time my visa is valid 'till June 2012. I have come over with my common law partner. She is employed and I am looking for work but hope to have a job soon. We plan to extend our visas if possible. How do we extend our visas? Does one of us need to get our employer to get an LMO? If the LMO is 'granted' can the other - as common law partner - automatically have their visa extended too?

Thanks in advance for any advice or comments!! ;)

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Covey said:
Hi guys,

I have returned to Canada with my second 1 year temporary work visa. I was here from January to December last year and this time my visa is valid 'till June 2012. I have come over with my common law partner. She is employed and I am looking for work but hope to have a job soon. We plan to extend our visas if possible. How do we extend our visas? Does one of us need to get our employer to get an LMO? If the LMO is 'granted' can the other - as common law partner - automatically have their visa extended too?

Thanks in advance for any advice or comments!! ;)
1. One of you would require a LMO to extend their work permit. Note that the LMO must be for a job in NOC A, B or O for the other to get a spousal open work permit.

Covey

Aug 16, 2011
Thank you, PMM.

Do you know how much it costs for the LMO and does the employer need to pay anything?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Covey said:
Thank you, PMM.

Do you know how much it costs for the LMO and does the employer need to pay anything?
There's no cost.

However the employer will have to prove that they advertised the job in Canada and were unable to find a Canadian citizen or Canadian permanent resident to fill the role.