+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Extending work permit.

Stuntmonkey

Feb 17, 2010
Hi guys,

I'm a kiwi on my SWAP visa, which I got after being on a WHP. I've applied for permanent residency but its still currently being processed. My work permit runs out around the end of april and I need to extend it using this;

cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/extend-worker.asp

Couple of questions, as with the usual information provided on the website, a lot is missing!

I'm unsure if I need to fill out the declaration of common law relationship, and get it notarized (which will be hard, as my partner is in BC at the moment and im in AB). I'm applying on the grounds that my job is now a career, and that I haven't heard back in regards to my perm res. I applied for perm res via the spousal program.

Also, do I need to get a HRSDC file number and approval? It says if applicable on the document checklist but the manual doesn't mention anything about it, or how to go about it. Neither does the HRSDC or service canada websites.

Mike81

Feb 20, 2010
Extending work permit.

Hi Guys!
I had a work permit until 13 February - I applied for renewal and they received my documents in Vegreville on 10 January. Since then I have not heard anything from them!!! what should I do! It is almost two months now and I am starting getting troubles - for ex. I can not take a driving licence test. Do you have some Idea - I think they were supposed to send me confirming letter, were not they? Please help!!!

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
Mike81 said:
Hi Guys!
I had a work permit until 13 February - I applied for renewal and they received my documents in Vegreville on 10 January. Since then I have not heard anything from them!!! what should I do! It is almost two months now and I am starting getting troubles - for ex. I can not take a driving licence test. Do you have some Idea - I think they were supposed to send me confirming letter, were not they? Please help!!!
What job type are you renewing your WP for?

Jezika

Feb 23, 2010
I believe that as long as you applied for an extension before your current visa has run out, you should be on implied status, which means you can remain in Canada under the same conditions as your existing visa until they have made a decision on your extension (but implied status is cancelled if you leave the country between that time!). I sponsored my partner under the common law spouse class at the end of last year and sent his visa extension application at the same time. He will shortly be on implied status and should be able to continue working uninterrupted. Whether this would be any different for you because you applied for permanent residency before getting a visa extension, I don't know (in fact when speaking to CIC, they put a huge emphasis on needing to send both at the same time), so I would advise you to call CIC directly and ask. Their number is 1-888-242-2100 (then press 1-2-7-0 to get through the voice prompts to speak to an actual person). They will be able to advise you on getting an HRSDC file number (which my partner didn't need to do because he also applied for permanent residency through me at the same time) and on the notarization issue. It would be a good idea to get them to e-mail you any info they give you over the phone, which they have done for me several times, because I've found in the past that I've gotten different answers depending on who I've spoken to. Good luck.

Oh, another thing: thez definitely don't confirm receipt of the applications to you. They only send you something once they have reached a decision.