+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Extending my stay (as a visitor) for future spousal/CL sponsorship

Philigran

Oct 7, 2015
Hi friends,

I have a question concerning the extension my stay in Canada.

I was on a IEC (Working Holiday Visa) and then left the country shortly before it expired. After about a month in the US, I returned and was given a 6 month visitor visa at the border.

This is soon to expire. I am in a relationship here and I want to create more time to lay the foundation for a possible spousal / comon law sponsorship.

What would be the best route? Just applying for an extension of my current visitors visa? Leaving the country and coming back?

I am really unsure about what to do so maybe some of you might be able to help out.

Thanks so much.

Philipp

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Philigran said:
This is soon to expire. I am in a relationship here and I want to create more time to lay the foundation for a possible spousal / comon law sponsorship.

What would be the best route? Just applying for an extension of my current visitors visa? Leaving the country and coming back?

I am really unsure about what to do so maybe some of you might be able to help out.
Apply to extend your stay as a visitor. It is less of a risk than doing a border run. Provided you have sufficient proof of finances or support from your partner, you should have no issues.

Philigran

Oct 7, 2015
Hi guys,

I have a sufficient amount of funds which will sustain me in Canada for a while.

My question is, is it even possible to have my visa (6 months visitor) extended? And if I do so, should I mention my relationship status in the application? Also, what would be the maximum I could go for in a case like that?

Thanks so much, I really appreciate the help.

Philipp

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Philigran said:
I have a sufficient amount of funds which will sustain me in Canada for a while.

My question is, is it even possible to have my visa (6 months visitor) extended? And if I do so, should I mention my relationship status in the application? Also, what would be the maximum I could go for in a case like that?
You are extending your visitor status, not a visa. Yes, it's possible. Stating you want to become common-law with your partner is a perfectly fine reason. You can ask for longer; many people ask for a year.

Philigran

Oct 7, 2015
Hi Canuck, thanks for the clarification and sorry for confusing terms.

Your statement sounds good... that gives me more confidence to go ahead with my plans. Thanks so much.