+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Extended Stay as American in Canada

ZR333

Dec 5, 2012
Hi,

So this is my situation. My girlfriend lives in Montreal Canada. I want to go live with her as an American Citizen. I may or may not want to share an apartment with someone else at first. If I did want to share an apartment with someone else, is it legal to do this and have my name an an american on that lease with only a passport? I know I have only 6 Months, but how can I have more time for example as much time as I want. I know I have to have some kind of extended stay but I am not clear regarding my specific situation.

I will be self employed via the Internet where my money comes from outside Canada but I plan on paying taxes within Canada if this is the requirement as I am sure it is. If I decide to take work in the Canada then can I take a job and then afterwards apply for a work visa or do I need a work visa first before taking any job within the Country?

Do I need permanent residence and will it be sufficient to have a leased share of an apartment as my permanent residence or do I need to share rent with my girlfriend who is a Citizen?

What do I need to do so that I can remain there? I am confused about how to begin this process? I find there is no one to speak to on the phone about this so this forum and others are my only hope.

Thanks,

Zach

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
I'm a visitor from the USA on a lease... sort of. I'm listed as a roommate allowed to live on the property. The apartment is under my husband's name. I let the landlord know up front my situation and he was okay with it. I did need to provide references.

Also, if you reside in Canada more than half of the year, you will need to file taxes. I don't know how to exactly answer your question - I just found out I need to file taxes myself even though I'm a visitor and haven't worked since coming here. Give CRA a call. They were very helpful and nice to me.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/cntct/menu-eng.html

1-855-284-5942

You'll be a visitor until you apply for and receive permanent resident status. (Or if you get another status like student or temporary worker.) Here is a self service quiz to help determine if you qualify for Immigration as a permanent resident. (Note, just because you don't qualify right now, doesn't mean you can't possibly qualify in the future.)

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/eligibility.asp

As far working online, from what others have said, as long as you aren't working for Canadian companies or clients, it's fine.

You'll probably need to find an employer willing to provide a LMO. This is a requirement for you to get a work permit. All I have to say on that front is: good luck. :( If you have amazing connections, it might work out... but I wouldn't hold out for that. I've been trying for 16 months to get a LMO, dipping so low as to apply for jobs at McDonalds.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you and your gf get married or live together as a couple for 12 months, she can apply to sponsor you for PR. This is really the fastest and easiest way for you to get it.

If you want to be able to extend your stay as a US citizen, you will need to be able to prove when you entered so you need to ask when you enter that they either stamp your passport or give you a visitors record.

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
Leon said:
If you and your gf get married or live together as a couple for 12 months, she can apply to sponsor you for PR. This is really the fastest and easiest way for you to get it.

If you want to be able to extend your stay as a US citizen, you will need to be able to prove when you entered so you need to ask when you enter that they either stamp your passport or give you a visitors record.
I double that. When I apply online with MyCIC to extend my stay, I have to include scanned pictures of my passport stamps (and picture page).