+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Extend Work Visa (Post Grad) waiting for PR processing

Mike_T

Aug 21, 2012
I am currently living in Canada under a Post Graduate Work Visa that expires this August.

My wife and I will be applying for my permanent residence under the Spouse or Common-Law partner in Canada Class.
I've read that the Open Work Visa can be applied for to extend a current work visa while waiting for the processing of a permanent residency application. However, I've also read that a Post Graduate work visa cannot be extended.

Am I just out of luck here?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Mike_T said:
I am currently living in Canada under a Post Graduate Work Visa that expires this August.

My wife and I will be applying for my permanent residence under the Spouse or Common-Law partner in Canada Class.
I've read that the Open Work Visa can be applied for to extend a current work visa while waiting for the processing of a permanent residency application. However, I've also read that a Post Graduate work visa cannot be extended.
The OWP takes about 4 months from the time you submit the app, so it all depends on when you plan to apply for PR. Apply now and you would most likely have the OWP in hand before your PGWP expires.

Note that outland apps for Americans average around 6 months, with many being approved in less time; it is possible that the PR app would be done in and around the same time as you would get the OWP from inland.