+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Express Entry versus Quebec

CMcM

Aug 9, 2016
I have a bit of a dilemma and don't know how to manage it. I've received an ITA and will be submitting the application in the next month with the intention of moving to Ottawa, where there are a lot of potential jobs for me (I'm finishing a PhD in political science so aim to be a policy consultant). Given the timescale then, I would expect to receive a result on my EE application in about November this year. I'm aiming to move to Canada next March, all being well.

However, at the same time there is a professor in Montreal who is very interested in having me come work with her as a post-doctoral fellow. If this is a real possibility, the idea would be to apply for grants/ funding this autumn and winter. This of course is a bit of an issue because obviously Quebec has an entirely different system and it sounds like the timescale for economic migrants is currently a bit up in the air.

I don't really know what I should do about this - if I got the post doctoral fellowship, I believe it would be easy to get a temporary work visa for Quebec. But it would be rather frustrating to have been approved for permanent residence (for Ontario) and then have to settle for a temp work visa because I want to move to Quebec.

Any advice? I don't want to misrepresent myself on my EE application but it's really hard to know at this stage where I will be able to move!