+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Express Entry landing - Quebec

rsaez89

Aug 18, 2020
Hi,
I have some questions that I would greatly appreciate if you could help me answer.
I have a COPR that was issued on January 21st of this year (so I can travel now).
I currently live in Panama and the airport is just opening given the pandemic.
I plan to live in Ottawa but given the quarantine requirements, I would land in Montreal because my sister lives in Quebec and she will take me to my quarantine place and provide me with groceries and the like so I can complete the quarantine.
However, I wonder if there would be an issue if I complete my landing process in the Montreal airport considering I obtained my COPR through express entry.
After the quarantine, I will move to Ottawa and continue with my settlement plans (my Express entry address is in Ottawa).
I´ve read multiple opinions saying that there would be issues by landing in Quebec and others with express entry only who did it without a problem.
My issue, in particular, would be that I would stay in Quebec for the quarantine, if there wasn´t a quarantine I would just go to Ottawa.
I would appreciate it if someone who had a similar experience could share it with me.

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
Why can't you land in Ottawa? If you seek to land in Quebec they could accuse you of misrepresentation and refuse to sign your COPR.

rsaez89

Aug 18, 2020
Basically it has to do with the fact that to meet the quarantine requirements I need to have someone who can pick me up and provide me with groceries and stuff. I only have my sister to do that and she lives in Quebec City. If it wasn´t for the quarantine I would arrive in Ottawa and that´s it. I bought I ticket to Montreal and then Quebec because it is closer for my sister to pick me up.

Doubleface72

Aug 2, 2020
Basically it has to do with the fact that to meet the quarantine requirements I need to have someone who can pick me up and provide me with groceries and stuff. I only have my sister to do that and she lives in Quebec City. If it wasn´t for the quarantine I would arrive in Ottawa and that´s it. I bought I ticket to Montreal and then Quebec because it is closer for my sister to pick me up.
Believe me, it makes no difference to land in Quebec or Ontario as long as you are honest with the officer.
Just give a strong argument to the officer about your quarantine plan in Quebec and it should be alright, bear in mind that if you share the same place with your sister, she should also quarantine for 14 days.

rsaez89

Aug 18, 2020
Believe me, it makes no difference to land in Quebec or Ontario as long as you are honest with the officer.
Just give a strong argument to the officer about your quarantine plan in Quebec and it should be alright, bear in mind that if you share the same place with your sister, she should also quarantine for 14 days.
Hi,
Did you go through a similar process? If you asked me it makes no sense I should have any issues because if I were to live in Quebec (which I won´t), and I wanted to ¨trick¨ the system so to speak, I could just easily land in any other province and then just move there... My point is the POE really shouldn´t matter at all to determine if you are lying or not, but other things may like let´s say trying to get health insurance in Quebec, or other regional services, and the like. Having said that, I decided to change my plans and flight to Toronto and then to Ottawa, rent an airbnb for myself and have my awesome sister drive 4 hours, to pick me up, get my groceries and take me to the airbnb in Ottawa. I just wanna play it extra safe considering all the effort it takes to get a COPR.

Doubleface72

Aug 2, 2020
Your POE matters, because why would you seek to enter in Quebec if your intent is to settle elsewhere?
I don't want to contradict you or something but I went through similar situation.
I landed in Quebec 3 or 4 weeks ago and destination in COPR was Ontario.
The officer only asked about quarantine plan no more no less.
Another point i want to mention here, yes you can get health insurance in Quebec / driver license if you decide to settle in Quebec (This is an amendment to leave and thrive wherever you want in Canada as a PR or Canadian citizen) under some conditions: have a lease agreement or job offer in quebec ...

Doubleface72

Aug 2, 2020
Hi,
Did you go through a similar process? If you asked me it makes no sense I should have any issues because if I were to live in Quebec (which I won´t), and I wanted to ¨trick¨ the system so to speak, I could just easily land in any other province and then just move there... My point is the POE really shouldn´t matter at all to determine if you are lying or not, but other things may like let´s say trying to get health insurance in Quebec, or other regional services, and the like. Having said that, I decided to change my plans and flight to Toronto and then to Ottawa, rent an airbnb for myself and have my awesome sister drive 4 hours, to pick me up, get my groceries and take me to the airbnb in Ottawa. I just wanna play it extra safe considering all the effort it takes to get a COPR.
Yes i went through similar process. POE really doesn't matter since some countries have connection with Canada only through Montreal.
All said, sounds like a good plan you have here. You can also opt for online groceries, its convenient if you don't want to bother your people.

rsaez89

Aug 18, 2020
I don't want to contradict you or something but I went through similar situation.
I landed in Quebec 3 or 4 weeks ago and destination in COPR was Ontario.
The officer only asked about quarantine plan no more no less.
Another point i want to mention here, yes you can get health insurance in Quebec / driver license if you decide to settle in Quebec (This is an amendment to leave and thrive wherever you want in Canada as a PR or Canadian citizen) under some conditions: have a lease agreement or job offer in quebec ...
Thanks a lot for your insights! In regards to the quarantine plan, what did they ask you about it? What was your plan like?

colcol

May 27, 2019
Plan was to quarantine at airbnb and get the groceries online
Did they ask you something regarding the whole "essential, non optional, non discretionary" purpose of your travel?. I was approved for PR on February, but couldnt travel until now. I have no family in Canada and no Job offer, but mi intention is to settle and start job hunting in Vancouver. Is that essential enough? it is for me :D

teas

Sep 22, 2020
Hi,
Just wanted to add that I also landed in Montreal but intended to live in Ottawa. The immigration officer was fine with it. We did have future accommodation (Airbnb) booked in Ottawa so had that as evidence. So might be good to have something like that.