+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Express Entry - Confusion over NOC code - 1112 or 4163

ind.can

Feb 17, 2018
  • Dear all,

It would be great if someone helps me in clearing my confusion over which of these codes is more suited to my profile - 1112 Financial and investment analysts or 4163 Business development officers and marketing researchers and consultants.

I have 4 years of consulting experience in two companies in India (one of them is a Big 4 firm). The work revolved around advising government clients in the domain of infrastructure, industrial development, project finance and the like. My Job Description is given below:
  • Experience in Transport Advisory (Roads, Railways, Ports Etc) engagements and Government sector consulting.
  • Work on financial and commercial analysis, with ability to critically review sector trends, company financials, regulations and take up financial projections, sector and company assessments
  • Work on consulting projects and support the Team Leader / Manager in managing different aspects of project management including quality, timelines, profitability of execution, client satisfaction / relationship, etc.
  • Role would involve working on Government, Multilateral and Private Sector projects. Inter alia, work on Regulatory aspects, Financial Models, Advisory Reports, Risk Analysis
  • Role would involve working on reports and presentations and explain analysis / presentations to other team members
  • Working knowledge of financial modelling, financial analysis, feasibility assessment
  • Understanding of Government tendering processes and preparation of RFQ, RFP and other bidding related documents. Experience in PPP Transaction Advisory will be an added advantage.
  • Ability to work effectively within tight deadlines & ad-hoc project related work requirement
  • Ability to manage work independently and manage interactions with senior client personnel
  • Support the Team Leader / Manager in project delivery aspects such as research, analysis, financial modeling, report-writing and preparation of presentations while taking responsibility of specific modules in an assignment.
  • Provide assistance to manager in system compliance and internal activities
  • Client Management / Stakeholder Management: Attend client meetings to understand client requirements
  • Sound working knowledge of MS Word, MS Excel, MS Powerpoint and related software
  • Good working knowledge of English language (Reading, Writing and Speaking)
Kindly advise as I am in dilemma. While roles 4163 covers most of my roles and responsibilities, it does not include any financial roles, which is covered in 1112, but it is not in the consulting field.

Thanks in advance.

Froggie1984

Star Member
Jul 24, 2017
  • Dear all,
It would be great if someone helps me in clearing my confusion over which of these codes is more suited to my profile - 1112 Financial and investment analysts or 4163 Business development officers and marketing researchers and consultants.

I have 4 years of consulting experience in two companies in India (one of them is a Big 4 firm). The work revolved around advising government clients in the domain of infrastructure, industrial development, project finance and the like. My Job Description is given below:
  • Experience in Transport Advisory (Roads, Railways, Ports Etc) engagements and Government sector consulting.
  • Work on financial and commercial analysis, with ability to critically review sector trends, company financials, regulations and take up financial projections, sector and company assessments
  • Work on consulting projects and support the Team Leader / Manager in managing different aspects of project management including quality, timelines, profitability of execution, client satisfaction / relationship, etc.
  • Role would involve working on Government, Multilateral and Private Sector projects. Inter alia, work on Regulatory aspects, Financial Models, Advisory Reports, Risk Analysis
  • Role would involve working on reports and presentations and explain analysis / presentations to other team members
  • Working knowledge of financial modelling, financial analysis, feasibility assessment
  • Understanding of Government tendering processes and preparation of RFQ, RFP and other bidding related documents. Experience in PPP Transaction Advisory will be an added advantage.
  • Ability to work effectively within tight deadlines & ad-hoc project related work requirement
  • Ability to manage work independently and manage interactions with senior client personnel
  • Support the Team Leader / Manager in project delivery aspects such as research, analysis, financial modeling, report-writing and preparation of presentations while taking responsibility of specific modules in an assignment.
  • Provide assistance to manager in system compliance and internal activities
  • Client Management / Stakeholder Management: Attend client meetings to understand client requirements
  • Sound working knowledge of MS Word, MS Excel, MS Powerpoint and related software
  • Good working knowledge of English language (Reading, Writing and Speaking)
Kindly advise as I am in dilemma. While roles 4163 covers most of my roles and responsibilities, it does not include any financial roles, which is covered in 1112, but it is not in the consulting field.

Thanks in advance.
Hey ind.can,

Would you mind me asking:
- what industry is your company in?
- what is your actual title?
- what is the split of your responsibilities between financial analysis and consulting?

Thanks

ind.can

Feb 17, 2018
Hey ind.can,

Would you mind me asking:
- what industry is your company in?
- what is your actual title?
- what is the split of your responsibilities between financial analysis and consulting?

Thanks

Dear Froggie1984,

First of all, thanks a lot for the prompt reply. My responses are given below:

1. My first stint was with a infrastructure advisory firm, which gives consulting/ advisory services to government clients. My second stint is with a big4 firm, again in the infrastructure advisory business, handling government clients.
2. In the first company, it was Manager. In my second company, it is Consultant.
3. My work includes financial analysis, project structuring, writing project reports, making presentations to clients, undertaking new business development, etc. While the entire work can be called consulting, financial analysis constitutes perhaps 30% of it.

Also, I had another query: 4163 comes under Skill Level C, while 1112 has a Skill Level A. Being an MBA, do you think using a Level C NOC code will impact my chances of PR and/or jobs?

Thanks again.

Froggie1984

Star Member
Jul 24, 2017
Dear Froggie1984,

First of all, thanks a lot for the prompt reply. My responses are given below:

1. My first stint was with a infrastructure advisory firm, which gives consulting/ advisory services to government clients. My second stint is with a big4 firm, again in the infrastructure advisory business, handling government clients.
2. In the first company, it was Manager. In my second company, it is Consultant.
3. My work includes financial analysis, project structuring, writing project reports, making presentations to clients, undertaking new business development, etc. While the entire work can be called consulting, financial analysis constitutes perhaps 30% of it.

Also, I had another query: 4163 comes under Skill Level C, while 1112 has a Skill Level A. Being an MBA, do you think using a Level C NOC code will impact my chances of PR and/or jobs?

Thanks again.
Hey, no worries, I'm happy to try to help, but I am not an expert at all. I hope you hear from more people here.

Considering that 70% of your job is to do with consulting, I would say that your NOC needs to reflect that aspect of your role.

In terms of whether the skill level affects your chances of getting an invitation, I would try to calculate your points using two different NOCs to see how much impact it has.

Important thing to do is once you decide which NOC suits your role best, make sure that the reference letter from your employer is a close match to that NOC description. I think about 80% of your responsibilities from reference letter should be closely related to the chosen NOC.

Another thing you could do is send an e-mail to noc@workingincanada.gc.ca and ask them this question. I think they take a few days to reply, so if it can wait, then this might be a safe way to go about it.

I hope this helps and good luck with your application!