+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Exporting a car from US that is already temporarily imported in Canada

amitix

Mar 5, 2017
I moved to Canada last year and did a temporary import of my car. I did not export it from the US because I had plans to go back. The situation has changed and I will be here for another couple of years.

I have been trying to figure out how can I export my car from US now. Based on my email exchanges with the vehicle export office, they will allow me to export using my Canadian registration documents. My US title was retained by Service Ontario, when I did the temporary import.

I do not have a US visa anymore, so my friend would drive across the border into the US and perform the formalities on his way back. The vehicle export office has confirmed that they will allow him as long as he carries an authority letter signed by me. So far it seems like it will work out, but I want to bounce it off the members of this group.

Has anyone here been in a similar situation? Since this is an uncommon scenario, could you please advise what else I may need to take care of?

Thank you in advance.

Alex54321

Jul 28, 2017
USA
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
20-10-2017
AOR Received.
01-12-2017
I moved to Canada last year and did a temporary import of my car. I did not export it from the US because I had plans to go back. The situation has changed and I will be here for another couple of years.

I have been trying to figure out how can I export my car from US now. Based on my email exchanges with the vehicle export office, they will allow me to export using my Canadian registration documents. My US title was retained by Service Ontario, when I did the temporary import.

I do not have a US visa anymore, so my friend would drive across the border into the US and perform the formalities on his way back. The vehicle export office has confirmed that they will allow him as long as he carries an authority letter signed by me. So far it seems like it will work out, but I want to bounce it off the members of this group.

Has anyone here been in a similar situation? Since this is an uncommon scenario, could you please advise what else I may need to take care of?

Thank you in advance.
"...The vehicle export office has confirmed that they will allow him as long as he carries an authority letter signed by me..." - What kind of "an authority letter" you gave or going to give to your friend? I have the similar situation with my spouse ( future PR) and have a general POA, is it enough?

amitix

Mar 5, 2017
Yes, I am planning to give him just simple document stating I give him the authority to drive it across the border and do whatever is required to do the export. It doesn't seem like it is a big issue with them.

Meinik2

Sep 14, 2019

Thank you in advance.
Were you able to do it? Could you share your experience? It's hard to find this kind of info online.