+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Expired residence card- urgent

padgett

May 4, 2012
Hi, I'm leaving tomorrow for a short trip out of canada and I just realized my residence card expired a week ago ( fail, I know). I am flying, and the airport I come back through has me going through immigration AFTER I land. I've met all requirements and have lived in Canada the last 5 years. Can I be denied entry? I'm freaking out a bit.

quickman

Nov 10, 2017
I had to go out of Canada for a family emergency. My PR card was expired so I called cic. All they said was to apply for a Permanent resident travel document (PRTD) at the canadian embassy in the country where you are going.

sns204

Champion Member
Dec 12, 2012
Hi, I'm leaving tomorrow for a short trip out of canada and I just realized my residence card expired a week ago ( fail, I know). I am flying, and the airport I come back through has me going through immigration AFTER I land. I've met all requirements and have lived in Canada the last 5 years. Can I be denied entry? I'm freaking out a bit.
Not only that but some airlines may deny boarding without proper travel documents. The PRTD takes some time to process and you have to send your passport with the request, IIRC. You may want to make sure that you'll get that back in time or at least be able to delay your return until you receive it.

sns204

Champion Member
Dec 12, 2012
Also, there are very limited options as to where to have the PRTD processed. It's not done at all embassies. I believe only Washington, DC, New York, and Los Angeles embassies. You'll need to consider this in terms of mailing time as well.

padgett

May 4, 2012
I'm going to board with my us passport. Since I don't go through immigration until I get back to Canada, I am going to take my chances.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I'm going to board with my us passport. Since I don't go through immigration until I get back to Canada, I am going to take my chances.
There are no "chances" to take. As you have an American passport, you are eTA-exempt and therefore can board a plane to Canada on the strength of just your passport. Do not mention to the airline that you are a PR, as they may refuse to board you without a valid PR card or PRTD.

Reactions: scylla

sns204

Champion Member
Dec 12, 2012
There are no "chances" to take. As you have an American passport, you are eTA-exempt and therefore can board a plane to Canada on the strength of just your passport. Do not mention to the airline that you are a PR, as they may refuse to board you without a valid PR card or PRTD.
Good point regarding boarding the plane back to Canada. However, it certainly is a chance to take when you're coming through Canadian Customs.

Not sure where you live, but if you are close to the border, you could drive to the US, take your flight within the US, then drive back across the border. You would likely be let back in even with your expired PR card. They'll give you some grief about it.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Good point regarding boarding the plane back to Canada. However, it certainly is a chance to take when you're coming through Canadian Customs.

Not sure where you live, but if you are close to the border, you could drive to the US, take your flight within the US, then drive back across the border. You would likely be let back in even with your expired PR card. They'll give you some grief about it.
No, it isn't a chance. There is no legal requirement to have a PR card or PRTD to enter Canada; they are documents required to TRAVEL to Canada, not to enter. OP is a PR and has the right of entry.

sns204

Champion Member
Dec 12, 2012
No, it isn't a chance. There is no legal requirement to have a PR card or PRTD to enter Canada; they are documents required to TRAVEL to Canada, not to enter. OP is a PR and has the right of entry.
From the CIC website:

Your PR card can be used to show that you have permanent resident status in Canada. If you travel outside Canada, you will need to show your card and your passport when you come back on a commercial vehicle, like an airplane, boat, train or bus.

PRs traveling outside Canada who do not have a valid PR card, or who are not carrying it, need to apply for a permanent resident travel document before returning to Canada by commercial vehicle.

When my son was in the US for Xmas with his mom, his PR card expired. There was no way to get it renewed that fast, nor get a PRTD. I talked to a couple people at CIC and they said he would likely get refused entry without the card or a PRTD. I ended up having to reroute him to Buffalo and go get him from there, as driving across in my own vehicle required alternative options.

Which is why you don't mention it to the gate agents when you board the plane. There is a reason they won't let you board, because they would be on the hook for flying you back should you be refused entry without proper travel documents.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
From the CIC website:

Your PR card can be used to show that you have permanent resident status in Canada. If you travel outside Canada, you will need to show your card and your passport when you come back on a commercial vehicle, like an airplane, boat, train or bus.

PRs traveling outside Canada who do not have a valid PR card, or who are not carrying it, need to apply for a permanent resident travel document before returning to Canada by commercial vehicle.

When my son was in the US for Xmas with his mom, his PR card expired. There was no way to get it renewed that fast, nor get a PRTD. I talked to a couple people at CIC and they said he would likely get refused entry without the card or a PRTD. I ended up having to reroute him to Buffalo and go get him from there, as driving across in my own vehicle required alternative options.

Which is why you don't mention it to the gate agents when you board the plane. There is a reason they won't let you board, because they would be on the hook for flying you back should you be refused entry without proper travel documents.
Your quote from IRCC is simply reiterating what I said. The PR card or PRTD is required to board a commercial carrier to travel to Canada. It is NOT required to be granted entry to Canada. This is stated in the law.

The IRCC Call Centre staff are poorly trained and provide wrong information most of the time. Had you called CBSA, they would have told you "No problem". PRs have the right of entry and your son would not have been refused.

While the airline would be on the hook, that would not happen in this situation because, again, PRs have the right of entry. The airline can't be certain of the PR status without the PR card or PRTD and can't just take the person's word for it, so they can refuse to board them even though the person knows that they will not be refused entry.

Reactions: padgett

padgett

May 4, 2012
Thanks for the responses. I feel pretty confident that I won't have an issue boarding my plane back to Canada. I'll board with my us passport and not mention that I'm a pr.

I'll let you know how it goes