+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Expired PR - Re entering Canada with another citizenship/passport - odd scenario

Samsultan

Nov 24, 2018
Hi

I've got a bit of an odd situation, and I'm wondering if anyone else has been through something similar.

I will try to break down my question so it will be understandable

- Became a permanent resident (PR) in Canada back in October 2018, and since then I only stayed in Canada 2 months. (hadn't met RO).
- My PR expired last year 2023.
- I am living in another country (visa waived country to Canada) with my spouse and I recently got the citizenship of this country through my spouse. (NOT USA).
- The employer I work for now is considering of moving me to work in the same company in Canada (the employer isn't a Canadian business).

My question is: as my PR status is technically still active in Canada, Can I enter Canada with my New passport/citizenship as it is visa waived and continue working in Canada for 2 years and renew my PR Card? Shall I tell the officer in the border about my PR status which is linked to my original nationality, or the system will figure it out by the names. Is it possible to re-enter Canada with another citizenship and then claim RO or this will create overstay issue to my new passport.
I need your help and feedback here please because I don’t know how it works.

Just thinking it might be smoother to stick around in Canada as a PR instead of dealing with the work visa hassle

I might be a bit pragmatic here, but circumstances often force us to shift plans

Last edited:

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Hi

I've got a bit of an odd situation, and I'm wondering if anyone else has been through something similar.

- Became a permanent resident (PR) in Canada back in October 2018, and since then I only stayed in Canada 2 months. (hadn't met RO).
- I am living in another country (visa waived country to Canada) with my spouse and I recently got the citizenship of this country through my spouse. (NOT USA).
- The employer I work for now is considering of moving me to work in the same company in Canada (the employer isn't a Canadian business).

My question is: as my PR status is technically still active in Canada, Can I enter Canada with my New passport/citizenship as it is visa waived and continue working in Canada for 2 years and renew my PR Card? Shall I tell the officer in the border about my PR status which is linked to my original nationality, or the system will figure it out by the names. Is it possible to re-enter Canada with another citizenship and then claim RO or this will create overstay issue to my new passport.

Just thinking it might be smoother to stick around in Canada as a PR instead of dealing with the work visa hassle

I might be a bit pragmatic here, but circumstances often force us to shift plans
Tell yah

the webs people weave

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi

If you are flying to Canada, you need an eTA to enter on a visa exempt passport. You cannot get an eTA as a PR. You would need to renounce your PR status first.

If you want to fly to Canada without renouncing PR, you would need to get a valid PRTD which is going to be problematic if you don't meet RO. The only alternative would be to fly to the US and re-enter Canada through a land border.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Can I enter Canada with my New passport/citizenship as it is visa waived and continue working in Canada for 2 years and renew my PR Card? Shall I tell the officer in the border about my PR status which is linked to my original nationality, or the system will figure it out by the names. Is it possible to re-enter Canada with another citizenship and then claim RO or this will create overstay issue to my new passport.
This seems mostly predicated on the idea that they won't be able to match you-with-new-citizenship and you-with-old. They have this thing now, these boxes with lights and screens, well, don't want to get too technical, but they call them 'computers.' (This will likely happen at a land border too)

So what happens if they do 'catch' you? Well, they might report you (start process of revoking PR status, under which they'd let you in subject to appeal but you might well lose any appeal). Or they might wave you in but then you likely couldn't travel without hassle - is that realistic? - for a couple years at least.

Which brings up the point: what will your employer do if they find out they're in this mess with your Canadian PR status, you can't travel, etc., etc?

If I were your employer I'd be mighty pissed.

Renouncing and getting a work visa and/or applying for PR status anew might be a hassle, but might be a lot LESS hassle than the alternative.

Is your spouse also a PR? A citizen?

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Others already explian that you can't travel to Canada without eTA (which in normal case would show that you are a PR of Canada and trying to travel without valid PR card/PRTD).

My question is how would this NON Canadian business hire you to work in Canada? Will they be able to get you a working visa after your PR status is being revoked.

Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
My question is how would this NON Canadian business hire you to work in Canada? Will they be able to get you a working visa after your PR status is being revoked.
Yeah I forgot to mention I didn't understand what this company's situation was/is.Very good point.

Samsultan

Nov 24, 2018
Yeah I forgot to mention I didn't understand what this company's situation was/is.Very good point.
If the company I currently work for operates globally, including in Canada, can I state that I work for a Canadian company while I am abroad to facilitate entry into Canada without complications? I've heard that permanent residents working for Canadian businesses outside of Canada can renew their PR status. However, my company is multinational with numerous branches in Canada.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
If the company I currently work for operates globally, including in Canada, can I state that I work for a Canadian company while I am abroad to facilitate entry into Canada without complications? I've heard that permanent residents working for Canadian businesses outside of Canada can renew their PR status. However, my company is multinational with numerous branches in Canada.
Short form, no.

Honestly, I'd suggest hiring a proper Canadian immigration lawyer. You seem to be reluctant to just address this with your employer, I presume because they understand you've got your Canadian status sorted?

Anyway, none of my business. I think you'd be better speaking to a professional to whom you can tell the truth, the whole truth, etc., and get proper advice.

Reactions: YVR123

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Only potentially feasible / helpful if your employer originally hired you for a permanent job in Canada, you worked for your employer in Canada for a while, and then your employer temporarily transferred you to a role outside of Canada. Otherwise not helpful.