+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Expired PR and needing to travel.

Ryan Marshall

Aug 20, 2023
Hello
My wife is Japanese and has been a permeant resident for 40 years or so. she has let it expire and she has sent in the renewal paperwork.
We want to go on a trip, but we are afraid the card will not make it here in time.

We want to drive to NY state and take a cruise that will end in Quebec.
what are our options? She has a valid Japanese Passport
from what I can tell is if you're Japanese you do not need a visa to enter Canada because Japan is an approved country but I also see that if one has an expired PR you could be refused.
The trip is not long enough to file for a PRTD, I believe.
Can anyone help?

Thanks

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello
My wife is Japanese and has been a permeant resident for 40 years or so. she has let it expire and she has sent in the renewal paperwork.
We want to go on a trip, but we are afraid the card will not make it here in time.

from what I can tell is if you're Japanese you do not need a visa to enter Canada because Japan is an approved country but I also see that if one has an expired PR you could be refused.
Can anyone help?

Thanks
She need PRTD regardless of the length of the trip.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello

Can anyone help?

Thanks
Her PR status does NOT expire; only the PR Card expires.

As a PR, she does not need a visa to re-enter Canada. As long as her PR status has not been revoked (no idea how long ago her card expired and if she meets the Residency Obligation, but will assume she does) she cannot be denied entry by CBSA.

If she does not have time to obtain a PRTD, you may need to cancel your plans, since she may not be allowed to board the ship. The obvious question is "How would they [cruise agent] know she's a PR and not just a visitor from Japan?" That is a great question, but it's impossible to know what they `see' in their system; they have to provide a passenger manifest to CBSA in advance and may discover her legal status in Canada which would require she present a valid PR Card.

She does not need a valid PR Card to enter, but will need a valid Card to appease a commercial carrier, which is why it is required to return to Canada. There is NO requirement from CBSA that a PR have a valid PR Card to enter Canada (although it is strongly encouraged). Carried delivers a person to the front door of Canada. CBSA allows them to walk through the door to enter Canada. Two completely different steps with completely different requirements.

Since you may not have time for a PRTD, you could both return to Canada via the US and then drive across the border (maybe a friend picks you up), or you can cross on foot and then find a ride home. Obviously more difficult than obtaining a PRTD, but it works as a last resort.

Reactions: Krystal Nguyen

Ryan Marshall

Aug 20, 2023
Her PR status does NOT expire; only the PR Card expires.

As a PR, she does not need a visa to re-enter Canada. As long as her PR status has not been revoked (no idea how long ago her card expired and if she meets the Residency Obligation, but will assume she does) she cannot be denied entry by CBSA.

If she does not have time to obtain a PRTD, you may need to cancel your plans, since she may not be allowed to board the ship. The obvious question is "How would they [cruise agent] know she's a PR and not just a visitor from Japan?" That is a great question, but it's impossible to know what they `see' in their system; they have to provide a passenger manifest to CBSA in advance and may discover her legal status in Canada which would require she present a valid PR Card.

She does not need a valid PR Card to enter, but will need a valid Card to appease a commercial carrier, which is why it is required to return to Canada. There is NO requirement from CBSA that a PR have a valid PR Card to enter Canada (although it is strongly encouraged). Carried delivers a person to the front door of Canada. CBSA allows them to walk through the door to enter Canada. Two completely different steps with completely different requirements.

Since you may not have time for a PRTD, you could both return to Canada via the US and then drive across the border (maybe a friend picks you up), or you can cross on foot and then find a ride home. Obviously more difficult than obtaining a PRTD, but it works as a last resort.
Thank you so much for the info.
How long does it take to get a PRTD and can we do it online? my understanding is we have to be outside of Canada to apply for a PRTD?

If I check with my cruise line they should know what they except.
I know all they want is what country we are residents of, on the forms in the past we I am marked as Canadian and she is marked as Japanese, there is no mention of her PR card. in the forms. now this is all pre Covid so it all might have changed.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you so much for the info.
How long does it take to get a PRTD and can we do it online? my understanding is we have to be outside of Canada to apply for a PRTD?

If I check with my cruise line they should know what they except.
I know all they want is what country we are residents of, on the forms in the past we I am marked as Canadian and she is marked as Japanese, there is no mention of her PR card. in the forms. now this is all pre Covid so it all might have changed.
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/prtd-application-submitted-in-canada-success-story.794260/

A few people have been successful, applying for a PRTD from Canada, but I think you're correct that you may not have time.

If you are both legal residents of Canada, saying that she is NOT (even to a cruise line) may not be the best option. Usually, at least for airline tickets, they require an address where the traveller lives. Did the cruise line that you booked your cruise with not ask for that?